Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio GAIN equalizer for LINUX MINT

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Audio GAIN equalizer for LINUX MINT

looking for some software that will equalize the audio gain level on all my music videos

for making audio cd`s for the car... there is a program called   MP3GAIN... where you can input your audio files.. -ripped from the video- and then with the flick of a mouse tail.. it will equalise the volume level  or gain...

there is a newer version for doing the same thing to actual music videos called MP4GAIN... but this is a trial version and costs 40 USD.. for the =registration=  it was written for windows, but would run on linux through wine...  

being a Yorkshireman... I don`t want to spend any money on software, if there is a free version...

so... anyone know of a similar type FREE SOFTWARE that would be able to do this

6 REPLIES 6
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Audio GAIN equalizer for LINUX MINT

If you install FFMpeg you can do it using this but you may want an easier solution.

shutter
Community Veteran

Just checked the software manager... and it seems that I already have ffmpeg installed...

BUT.. from what I have read ( after googling "what is ffmpeg"..). it seems to be  a "long winded" way of converting music files from  file type AAA to file type BBB (or whatever the file extension is) .

ANYVIDEO CONVERTER will do that, simply, and efficiently.... and is not what I want to do..

Some videos have the music track at ( say 100% volume)  ( need to reduce the headphone volume for comfort) .. and others   have the music track, sometimes as low as 50% volume..

MP3GAIN  would "equalise" all the volume levels, for a AUDIO CD... for use in the car...

MP4GAIN would (presumably) do the same for music videos...which is what I would want to achieve, so that I am not having to reset the volume on a "playlist" of videos.

At present... the only way I "could", probably, achieve this would be to "re-record" all my music videos, using VOKOSCREEN.... which would take a very very long time

Mook
Seasoned Champion

No pleasing some folk!

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/AudioVolume

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook   True......  very true !.....

( you know I am a numpty with linux...   ! )

I see at the bottom of that page... there is some sort of instruction on how to "batch" normalise a group of files... so... might have a try of that....but........  Undecided

ffmpeg normalise.png

Having clicked on the red ffmep-normalize Python program...... it takes me to a github page, and from there on... it`s like reading a chinese takeaway menu, without the english translation...

so... give up on that .... 

VOKOSCREEN... here I come   Cheesy

Mook
Seasoned Champion

You needn't worry about batch processing at the moment @shutter, the first thing to do using those instructions is to get a couple of files done by hand to see if you get the results you expect.

I don't think you'll need a Python program to do batching when, in theory, a shell script will do what's needed.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  Partly understood   ! ! ! ...

Minor crisis at this end at the moment... so will put it on the back burner for today, at least.!

cheers

Wink