Did you mean: 

Asus rt-n56u Not seen by Openreach modem, Lan 1 light off

FIXED
zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Asus rt-n56u Not seen by Openreach modem, Lan 1 light off

Hi All,

PlusNet told me they cannot help because it not their router, Thank you very much. Anyways

I have fibre with PN and have a Openreach  modem, everything was working fine with plusnet own router when suddenly it started giving me wifi related problems e.g Spinning lag icon on all devices.

Contacted PN was told that Because I have more then 5 devices this could occur ( Overnight ?? ) and was advised to buy a more powerful router.

So today arrived my N56, turned everthing off and started assembling the router wan port to bt modem lan 1 port.

Turned on modem and left it to initialise and waited for dsl light to appear.

Turned on router and started flashing 2.4 and 5ghz lights.

Managed to get to router GUI and ran automatic setup. Now the GUI showed me a error picture stating that wan port needs to be connected. Double checked and everything was snuggly secure but GUI never moved from that page.

Looked at BT Modem and saw power light on, DSL light on, but the Lan 1 light was off.

The router ports themselves had a Wan port with solid orange/green light and one of the Lan ports was on solid orange/green too.

Done a few turn off's but no joy.

Then decided to update firmware on router via wifi and that was done successfully, but still no light on Lan 1.

Any ideas would be grateful from the community as PN Customer service could not help.

Many thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Asus rt-n56u Not seen by Openreach modem, Lan 1 light off

You need to set the WAN connection on the RT-n56u to PPPoE and enter your Plusnet username and password. These are the same as the ones you use to access the member centre except that the username requires @plusdsl.net on the end.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Check what @MisterW has said, if thats all in place then I would also try swapping out the ethernet cable connecting the two devices.

zishan
Rising Star

I ve tried 4 different cables but still LAN 1 light stays off. The main prob is the wan n LAN port stay on even if there is no cables plugged in
tokey
Aspiring Pro

Fix

Hmmm...  might be worth contacting Asus support as they should be able to give you some advice.  I have the same router as you but I have not seen this behaviour.

Before you contact asus however, it would be worth trying to connect to the internet connected directly to the modem just to rule out any issues there (Asus are bound to ask).

The directions in this post should show you how:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Fibre-help-How-to-set-up-a-PPPoE-dialler-in-Vista-Windows-7/ba...

nanotm
Pro

take it back to the shop and exchange it for one that has a fibre modem built in, then you can chuck the bt modem in a box along with the plusnet hub and still use fibre ...

why have two devices to slow down the connection when a single device will do the job better ?

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
zishan
Rising Star

Thanks guys, the router was dead out of the box and asus said it had run out of warranty.

So off to the bin or might turn it into a repeater or ebay as faulty.

Many thanks