cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all Microfilters equal and is REN and issue for Broardband?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Are all Microfilters equal and is REN and issue for Broardband?

I just did the whole checking system and found a microfilter was faulty and might be part of the problem as when replaced it went from 5mbps to 20mbps, which is what I normal get on my line (up to 35mbps).
I think I will replace all the microfilters tomorrow.

Before I do, are all Microfilters equal or are some better then others and can I test them to know they are working 100% OK?

Also, is the Ringer Equivalence Number (REN) a possible issue with poor broadband performance?

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Are all Microfilters equal and is REN and issue for Broardband?

Answer to Q1 : they are not all equal, but a 'rats-tail' filter from a reputable source should be OK - I have used LEACOM filters in the past, but my current one is an unbranded one bought from (I think) 7Dayshop a couple of years back - still going strong. You MAY have solved the problem - an improvement like that, if maintained, is a bit convincing. As to testing them, sorry, but someone more up electronics will have to answer that.

The REN issue is a red  herring, presumably you phones are cordless, so only one will be connected directly to the BT network, giving a REN of 1 (or maybe 2, but I doubt that). That will NOT affect BB performance.

John
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 Thanks for the information, I will look for rats tails Smiley

I once had red herrings in Jamaica...an acquired taste. Shocked

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Sorry if you didn't know what I meant by rat -tails - they are filters with a short bit of wire between the filter and the plug in to the phone socket. Wink

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get rat tail ADSL filters on Amazon and other sites but if you are spending money are you able to buy yourself an NTE Socket and dispense with the filter all together?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Sorry @Anonymous I'm new to this area and don't know the jargon .... Is an NTE socket the same as an NTE5a where my line comes in?  If so, do they have built in filters and do they go faulty or is an NTE totally different to an NTE5a?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leapy, I used the term NTE to mean any compatible BT socket that has an ADSL port built in so you do not need to have a separate filter.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If you have a NT5 Master socket you can buy filtered sockets to replace the faceplate which have micro filters built in. I believe the BT version is available but I use the following

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

I have my extension filtered as well as that's where my modem is.

Brian

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

+1 for the ADSLNation XTF filtered socket and XF-1e filter (but don't use both together!).

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

One other thing to consider - is the "bell wire" still connected on the Master Socket? It is no longer required and can cause broadband signal problems. The following web page gives information on it but there will be loads of others on the web.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Brian

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

With FTTC, you really need a filtered faceplate if you have extension telephone sockets.

Otherwise, the unfiltered extension wiring acts as the "bridged taps" that mean you'll be looking at the B range of estimated speeds, and not the A range.