Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Windows 10 problem ....

FIXED
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Another Windows 10 problem ....

I "turned my laptop on" an hour or so ago, except it didn't start because the battery was too low after being powered down for 24 hours from fully charged - though it obviously worked with the charger plugged in. This has only happened since installing W10 and updating to 1607 (which was done immediately) and happens after using said OS. The battery got sufficiently low to stop the charging circuit reading the battery parameters, but not low enough to clear the cmos, so I had to resort to the "tried and tested" method of turning the charger on/off repeatedly, which seems to give the battery an extremely short charge before the charging circuit shuts down and eventually there is enough charge/voltage for the battery parameters to be read.

I suppose I could be classed as "stupid" (but, hopefully, not "total idiot" or "Darwin Awards candidate") as the laptop is "not supported" by the manufacturer regarding W10. That means there are no manufacturer "bloatware" additions or special hardware "fixes" for Win10. However, apart from a few minor irritations (such as a lack of GUI feedback for bluetooth/wifi switching, which Linux also doesn't provide), it works.

As yet, I have not found which hardware element is not being powered off properly; the USB ports do not have any residual power output, which seems to be a recurring Windows problem.

The battery has now fully charged, so I have started and shutdown linux to test if this is a general malfunction and will do the same with Win7 in a few hours time, then compare that with Win10 after KB3189866 (1607 update) completes (I forced a shutdown as the download was not progressing). The laptop will run for 6+ hours on maximum power saving from a full charge, so I hope to get meaningful results after a 3 hour off time.

Phil

Edited for timescale corrections!

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Another Windows 10 problem ....

Fix

With all the detail about Windows 10 and Linux and Windows 7 I am struggling to pinpoint your problem.  Is it a triple boot system and have you disabled the Windows 10 default power option that puts your computer to sleep when you ask it to be turned off?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Maybe its just time for a new battery? How old is it?

PeeGee
Pro

@ReedRichards wrote:

... have you disabled the Windows 10 default power option that puts your computer to sleep when you ask it to be turned off?

That's a good question and I'll check later. However, my normal action with Windows is to remove all references to sleep, hibernate and the like - for me the system is either running or shut down. Initially, use of shutdown did just produce a blank screen which pulled up lock/login screen and the power/wifi lights remained on, but that has stopped happening.

As an aside, I hate the American version of the English language where exact means "something like" or "contains elements of".

It is a triple boot system as I wanted to check W10 would work and provide my GUI style (instead of the default mobile phone interface) prior to removing W7 - Linux is the primary system and windows is used when I find it necessary.

As expected, there was no loss after Linux - 100% after 3.25 hours off.

The battery seems fine. It is only since W10 that there have been problems, before that it would run Routerstats for 6 hours collecting data via ethernet (wifi/display off) at very short intervals then the charger would come online for 2 hours and charge the battery. It would operate like that for a week easily.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
PeeGee
Pro

Not sure where the default "shutdown" settings are, but I found an anomaly regarding the power button. I had changed the power scheme settings to shutdown when the power button is pressed, for all schemes, but going to power options control panel and selecting the left menu item for what the power button does had a different setting to  the power scheme Crazy2 I have now set those to shut down as well. However, I would expect selecting shut down via the start menu to do just that and not sleep, which is a selectable item in the list.

Phil

PeeGee
Pro

W10 now seems to work correctly, after configuring the "odd" setting that doesn't take the selected power scheme setting; though I have installed the latest 1607 cumulative update as well. The latter failed at the first attempt as I hadn't changed to a single boot system first - could this be intentional Huh

Phil

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My Windows 7/10 dual boot (using the Windows boot loader) is not upset by a "feature upgrade" like 1511 or 1607.  However these upgrades always reset power options to default Windows settings.  Windows 7 cannot cope with the Windows 10 default power settings (specifically "Fast Startup" - which is really a form of hybrid sleep) because it sees all the partitions as not having been shut down properly.