Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying problem with Win7 login

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Annoying problem with Win7 login

Every now and then I am faced with a pain of a problem on the win7 login screen:

screenshot_759

For some pathetically annoying reason when i type in my password this decides to popup and block me typing. I hit escape and start over and it comes up again... and again... and again. Eventually by some miracle of random key presses (and tonight ctrl alt del) it will give up and let me login.

I know you can bring up this menu using the windows key however it's not pressed when i'm typing and further i've changed keyboards since the problem first started so it isn't a dodgy keyboard!

I don't even know what the menu is called - that is literally the only copy of it i could find on google images.

Thanks

7up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Annoying problem with Win7 login

A quick Google search suggests you are using the Windows key and the 'P' key at the same time, 'P' being the shortcut for projector...
7up
Community Veteran

And as I've said, I am not.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Have you tried disabling the presentation mode settings?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/presentation-settings-in-windows-7

If you are not needing to connect your computer to another screen then completely disabling it might help.

As a side note, I read other users experiences with this and it seems to happen after they had connected another screen and have since gone back to a single monitor.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Tonts
Hooked

Try these suggestions, i.e. is window key stuck down, are sticky keys on or connected to RDP. Link to article with info: https://superuser.com/questions/112550/in-windows-7-how-do-i-disable-ease-of-access-pop-ups-on-the-l...

7up
Community Veteran

Right, for the final time IT IS NOT THE DAMN WINDOW KEY.

I HAVE TOLD YOU THIS ALREADY Knuppel I also explained that I am using another keyboard and the problem persists. I expect you didn't read that either.

Either read the post properly and all the way to the end without jumping to conclusions half way through or don't bother replying.

@jaread83 thanks for your helpful suggestion, I will look at that option Thumbs_Up

Tonts
Hooked

If you had bothered to read all the way to the end of my reply, you would of found a link to a article describing a possible cause and fix for the exact problem you are experiencing. But I see you are having problems with the caps key seemingly stuck too.