Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation wifi connection issues

FIXED
Mickyp57
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation wifi connection issues

After 65mins on the phone with Amazon, tech support (at least they tried as much as they could) hours of factory resets, reboots, replacement smart devices, ive come to the conclusion that there is a configuraton issue preventing me connection my Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation smart speaker to my plusnet router, which i got new in November 2019.

I spoke to plusnet support and they immediately blamed it on the echo device (thats an easy door to close) then after trying everything Amazon support could think of, I went next door to my neighbour and we linked my echo dot in 5 minutes..to his shabby old bt router thats covered in dust.

I then spoke to my other neighbour, most embarrasingly, i mentioned 'Alexa' Echo dot fun i was having. This neighbour does posh nails for those that like that sort of thing. She setup 5 Amazon devices in their house and her old man told me she knows diddly squat about technology....but thats the point, these devices are supposed to be child friendly, plug it in, add password, start the fun. This neighbour has a Sky router.

Surely someone else is having a crappy time as well.......???????

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation wifi connection issues

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Mickyp57  try splitting the wireless bands as described in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Some devices get confused when both bands have the same SSID

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gaz1655
Hooked

I'm having exactly same issues. Amazon help spent 45 mins. Took over my computer and couldn't resolve it. Contacted plusnet who instantly told me it was a fault with echo dot and it needed a firmware update. Took it to my 88 year old dad who got it working in 5 mins on talk talk. Brother took 8 mins on bt. Neighbours on sky got it going. Contacted plusnet again who told me its faulty. Cop out not impressed. Stuck now
gaz1655
Hooked

Have also tried splitting signals changed names of 5gh tried everything advised on here. Now three options. Fire off plusnet or buy another router or bin echo dot.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

h@gaz1655 

i have replied to your other topic here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/echo-still-wont-connect-problems/m-p/1...

@Mickyp57 

Have a look at the post linked above

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mickyp57
Hooked

Fix
Take your dot to a neighbours house, as i did. It connected, got a software update and then connected first time when i got home. Soooo relieved, thought i was going mad. 2 days of stress and 'its not us' from my own service.
2 echo dots later im sorted....
Mickyp57
Hooked

Try connecting it to someone elses router first.
If that dont work, bin it, but im sure it will.
gaz1655
Hooked

tried it on several other networks apart from plusnet and it connects. will try connecting to mates and updating software. many thanks.  up to now 10 hours of my life ill never get back. haha