Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Free restart requests

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: AVG Free restart requests

I use Kaspersky and that does often request a reboot under certain update situations, more so than your average AV package.
It surprised me the first couple of times as I previously used AVG with no such reboot requests.
Edit: Thinking on..I don't recall having such requests since moving to Vista from XP....Hmmmm Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Njal
Grafter

Try this:
"Update requires restart"
http://www.grisoft.com/us.faq.num-163
Regards,
Neil
Not applicable

Although AVG free has no support, I have had one or two problems answered by the moderators using the AVG Forum (http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?0).
With regards to the problem, I have seen this too on my friend's computer. As mentioned before, in Update Manager Properties, make sure that 'Update Immediately' / 'Reguires Confirmation from User' are both checked. Also, it might help to delete the temp files in Update Manager Settings.
Failing that, I would have another look at the Forum - it is very good, although if you want to ask a question, you do have to register/log on.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for that Poppy. It seems I'm not alone the advice was to uninstall,  use ccleaner to remove all registery entries, relating to AVG, delete any files starting AVG or grisoft and then do a really clean install.
Fingers crossed!
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I've not been in all week, so I haven't seen this topic until now.
Strangely enough, I've been having the exact same problem here for the last two weeks or so, it's not every day, but I would say probably nine out of the last 14 updates, the PC has been waiting for a reboot after the AVG Free update.
My kids have identical Toshiba laptops, XP Home SP2, both running AVG 7.5, they aren't having the problem.
I've got XP Pro SP2, running the same version of AVG and I'm getting the reboots.
It's difficult to find the exact differences, especially when it's only happened recently. I've tried all the advice I could find, about making sure the updater is set to reboot after confirmation from user, and clearing the update temporary files. Finally gave up last night, downloaded the most recent version. Uninstalled the version I had on the machine and put the new one on. Ran the update to bring it up to date, that one went OK. Just ran a manual update now, and the machine wants a reboot again, so if anyone has a solution, I'm ready to try it.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Hi Phil
I've found some advice on the AVG site and have been meddling around with this quite a bit. Basically the advice is to
1 Download that latest version from the grisoft site - make sure it is the latest version (12 Feb)
2 Run it to uninntall including all the user data option.
3 Clear out any registery  items from Grisoft and AVG - seems like this is the problem area)
4 Delete all the grisoft and AVG folders
5 reinstall the new version
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,116568,backpage=2,sv=
Furtling around in the regitery is quite scary for me so I was quite cautious and may not have deleted something I needed to and I'm still suffering with the problem. I'm now so Irritated that Im considering a C: format and clean install of everything (It seems like the best form of housekeeping every so often) or shifting to Avast.

Because of all the messing about I missed the last automatic update. I did a manual one but that didnt ask for a reboot. I may leave it til Sunday and make a decision then.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Furtling around in the regitery is quite scary for me so I was quite cautious and may not have deleted something I needed to

After uninstalling any software, there is inevitably some bits left over..... I think the safest way to "furtle" around the registry is to leave it to  CCleaner (formerly CrapCleaner) to do the necessary.... If you have not got this, it is free  (my favourite software word)  The "opening screen" is for removing the usual cookies and dead file bits, but on the left side there is an Icon for    registry    click on that, and do the Analyse bit again, and then follow the instructions.....
Then............. re-install the latest version of AVG 7.5 FREE
Hope that helps..... Smiley
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks for the advice. I did download CCleaner and when I ran it it came up with very many items - I couldnt begin to believe they were all rubbish so was quite selective in what I asked it to delete, similarly with the registry there seemed to be lots of files there that I thought bvest to leave alone.
Are you saying if CClean finds it then It can be deleted. If so I will be bolder.
shutter
Community Veteran

I have had no problems when I leave it to CCleaner to do the job..... T
he software designers must have some idea what they are doing when they make this kind of program, and as it is so popular, (did you note the number of downloads? ? ?)  I put my trust in them.....
If you are worried about the amount of "stuff" that it says is rubbish, (even in the registry) you can always use the "backup" facility..... particularly in the registry cleaner, and if something isn`t working properly after you have run the cleaner/fix registry, you can always "rewind" so to speak, and see if it is working then.....

The first couple of times you run CCleaner, you will always find zillions of bits of rubbish..... after using it about four or five times, you will find there is little left to clear out......  I use it every night before shutting down the computer, and then the amount of cookies etc built up during the day, does not accumulate.....
I do the registry once a month, so it is quite clean as well...
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Cheesy
OK
Spring cleaning here we come!
shutter
Community Veteran

Before you start.......... check out the "options"    here you can set up for "secure file deletion", and the number of passes to make your deleted files "safe"..... Wink
as you are probably aware, "deleting"  a file, does not actually delete it..... Cry
I have my Secure File Deletion set at 3 passes..... quickest option, as the more passes then the longer it takes....
Smiley
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Quote from: the
Hi Phil
I've found some advice on the AVG site and have been meddling around with this quite a bit. Basically the advice is to

Yup, done all that, including the "furtling" round in the registry. The first update went OK, no reboot requested. Then last night, and tonight both times reqesting a reboot. I't's very odd that I'm getting the reboots when neither of the kids' laptops is doing it. It's really quite annoying now. I can only recall two or three occasions prior to the last two/three weeks when I've had to reboot, and that was usually if there was a huge update, but even they are few and far between. Now I'm looking at a reboot every flipping day.
I think I'm going to look at another antivirus solution. I know AVG is a free version, but the reports on this issue seem to be gathering pace.
Kasperski is on my list, although for that I will have to break with tradition and get my wallet out, then again, it's not a bad price really. I used to get it free whilst I was studying (Open U) so I've only really had to rely on AVG over the last few of years.
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with Avast? I might give that a go first.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: the
For the last week or so every time AVG does its daily update I get a request to restart the PC. Previously this happened once in a blue moon. I had a look on the AVG forum and am having trouble registering for that . The links in the information menu of the AVG free application are the route to registering but they are dead for me.
Before I do a fresh install. Does anyone have a similar problem or a solution please?

I had this...  I normally leave my laptop on 24/7 but every morning AVG said i had to reboot.    Yesterday i uninstalled and installed avast home (which is also free) and no more reboots.
shutter
Community Veteran

Just to rub salt into the wounds ..... I had an update this morning whilst collecting my emails, and it went through a dream..... updated and no request to reboot  Smiley  and I got my emails at the same time.... talk about multi-tasking ! !  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pass the celler shutter, I had two machines running, Win 98 SP2 and XP SP2, both updated no trouble, the Win 98 slows the other progs down, but doesnt stop