cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-AC68U and Access Point

Freary

ASUS RT-AC68U and Access Point

I've just received my new ASUS RT-AD68U and now realise the Hub One doesn't support Bridge Mode (annoyingly!).

Some suggestions I've seen recommend just setting the Hub One in Access Point mode and wiring a LAN cable to the Asus. What are the pros and cons of doing this versus getting a new 3rd part modem that supports Bridge Mode?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: ASUS RT-AC68U and Access Point

@Freary  Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid that you have got this the wrong way around. You need to set the Asus router up in Access Point mode and connect it to your router via one of the Hub LAN connectors.

The disadvantage is that you cannot use the additional features available in the Asus router such as setting up a guest network as all the Asus will do is act as an Ethernet Switch and wireless repeater.

I would say send it back and change it for the version of this model that includes a modem ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-Dual-Band-Wireless-Connections/dp/B00O27PHGY/ref=sr_1_8?adgr... )but from memory of reading other posts these have a pretty poor reputation.

A model 3B Huawei HG612 modem is available cheaply from auction sites, these can be unlocked so that you can monitor your DSL stats and will do the job for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

See also some modem suggestions here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/What-is-a-suitable-VDSL-modem-for-ASUS-RT-AC86U/td-p/1737511 

fwiw, if you are considering a 'used' openreach modem, you may wish to buy an extra spare one as they are so cheap on ebay.  Huawei was discontinued in 2014/15. ECI in 2016.  Some used examples I've seen have bad capacitors inside the modem unit simply due to continuous use over time.  Power adapters can also fail for similar reasons.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Freary Do not buy an Asus DSL-AC68U it contains  the worst VDSL2 modem ever. Keep the RT-AC68U and get  a Huawei HG612 modem, they may be a bit old but they still work. I have used one for several years.