cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 x CS50001 for internet through the house ?

MarkD1

2 x CS50001 for internet through the house ?

Hi

I have one of the above routers and have just extended my house. The range is now not good enough to cover the whole house. Can i use two of the same router to give me what i want and if so what is the best way to connect them ? I have been using a tp link , but it is not ideal. If this method is not suiitable , does anyone have a recommended system that works ?

Thanks for any help

Mark

20 REPLIES 20
witherford
Rising Star

Re: 2 x CS50001 for internet through the house ?

Hi Mark,

Are you talking about wireless connectivity? i did a quick search on google for the Router you have mentioned and have not been able to find an exact match, what router is it exactly?

Before being able to give advice i will need to know a bit more about your setup:

Is the master socket and router on the other side of your house?

Could you safely run an ethernet cable from Router 1's location to the extension?

Do you own a set of powerline adapters or know anyone who can lend you some for testing?

(link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_1_s...)

You may be able to do one of a few things assuming you are talking about wireless:

1) Run a Network cable from Router 1 to the extension into either router 2 or a wireless access point

2) Use powerline adapters to connect Router 1 to a router or access point in your extension

3) Do any of the above into a switch and use wired connections in your extension

MarkD1

Hi

The router is a Plusnet hub one , Sagemcom CS50001

Master socket and working router are together in the old part of house.

i want to get internet in new part of house which is about 15 meters away.

To run a cable between the two , i could drill holes in the walls to take the cable out and then back in to the other router in the extension.

Dont have powerline adaptors , but am using Dlinks , but they are not great.

I have another same router i would like to use , but want to keep the same original router name , so i dont have to change wifi name when i go from one room to the next.

Question is , how do i link the two routers up with same id ?

Thanks for your help.

witherford
Rising Star

HI Mark,

I have one of the routers you are referring to along with a sky router so i will see if with these two i can achieve what i know with enterprise level kit i could easily achieve.

The logic behind the solution is quite simple it's a question of whether the broadband routers are intelligent enough, broadband routes generally are quite limited.

I want to create a point to point link between the two routers on the same IP address range (subnet) and advertise the same wireless network and WPA2 key on both routers, then configure the wireless settings on each router so they don't overlap.

If i can get it to work on these routers then it's quite straight forward, i will let you know soon.

Rough diagram below.

MarkD1

Hi

Ok , good luck with that. Will be interesting to see if it works.

Mark

witherford
Rising Star

Hi Mark,

I have got it to work and should be able to get it to work with both of your plusnet hubs, don't do any drilling or fitting yet as we need to test it all works first.

My below explanation looks long winded but it's straight forward:

First thing we need to do is configure the hub that is going to go into your extension connect up to it by wired or wireless and log into the hub, you should be able to reach it by web browsing to 192.168.1.254.

Go to advanced settings and then login using the Admin password on the back of your hub, then go to IP addresses, you should see the hub IP address, change this from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.253.

(you will get disconnected from the router and will now need to web browse to 192.168.1.253 as it's IP has changed!)

The reason for changing the IP is because 192.168.1.254 is the gateway address on the Network that your devices will send traffic to before it goes to the internet so we don't want this IP belonging to two devices or it will conflict and cause internet connectivity issues, we also need to give the hub in your extension an IP address so we can connect to and manage the device in the future so the hub will retain 192.168.1.253

Once you have logged back on via 192.168.1.253 change the below settings under the Advanced settings option

Go to IPV6 configuration and select no for ULA and save these settings.

Go to the DHCP server setting under IP addresses and change it to off by setting the enable option to no and save these settings.

Now connect a network cable from Gig Ethernet port 1 on your extension router to Gig Ethernet port 1 on your router connected to the Internet.

Then try reconnecting to your extension routers wireless network, you should get given an IP address and should have access to Internet.

If you get stuck please let me know.

witherford
Rising Star

After we get this working, you can then look at fitting it in your extension, then we will configure the wireless network settings.

MarkD1

Hi

Excellent work , will give it a go soon and let you know.

Thanks again

Mark

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

As an alternative you could look at whole home wifi type solution - https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-with-PN/td-p/165250...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
witherford
Rising Star

This could be a good suggestion in but involves the poster spending money, be worth testing this method first which is very likely to work.

witherford
Rising Star

Hi Mark,

Did you get chance to test this and to see if it works?

witherford
Rising Star

HI Mark.

how did you get on?

witherford
Rising Star

No response, i assume your issue is resolved..

Cillo2000
Hooked

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a CS50001 and I am unable to change to IP from .254. When I change it and save it... it just reverts to .254. I assume the provider has it locked down, any way around this?

witherford
Rising Star

HI what is the exact IP and what are you trying to change it to?