cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so how do a make a poll (asksam)

vetterlein
Grafter

so how do a make a poll (asksam)

Just got invited to ask sam ... I'd like to see a poll ?
Askasm :  https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/requirements
want to connect hardware to my LAn so it can monitor speeds .. all well and good but they use 4 Gb  .. on any PluNet package  that is a killer ..so poll..

Interested in using asksam (speed monitoring)
1: No way I want foreign hardware in my home
2: Not with PlusNet capped packages
3: Well yes, but can't do to for some reason
4: Yes! Sign me up , more information good.
13 REPLIES 13
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: so how do a make a poll (asksam)

If you want to set up a poll here, click on 'Post new poll' instead of 'New topic'.
That's RPM to you!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

But bear in mind Plusnet can't sign you up because to avoid potential bias they can't be made aware of which customers have monitoring on their connections. Sign up is by filling in the form on the Samknows site.
In the email Plusnet do their best to give guidance on the implications of 4GB per month being taken up from monthly allowances by the monitoring transactions. They advise users not to sign up if they normally run close to their monthly limit. That is a lot for Plusnet Value customers - I wouldn't describe it as a killer - but less so for those on Extra.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note that the email went out to a very small selection of customers - how it was determined which ones received it I have no idea although I was one of them.
I fell foul of the power point requirement as the one by the telephone is already fully loaded and there isn't really space for another box which wouldn't match the decor  Grin Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I got the email - but I've had a SamKnows box for four years!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
vetterlein
Grafter

OldJim,
Despite what they say , looking at the video of "howto install" it looks like they simply replace the router , so it's the same number of boxes.
--
graeme
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think that's something that may have changed as the original SamKnows boxes were not used as a modem but just acted as a transparent switch. You plugged the SamKnows box in to your existing router and then plugged everything else in to the SamKnows box.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and that is now another reason why I won't use it as I like my Netgear DG834G v4 with the ability to monitor via Routerstats and to fiddle the noise margin when needed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

This page suggests that it's just plugged in to a spare ethernet port on your existing router:
https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Correct and that is what the video shows but then it shows the laptop being plugged into the white box but with the internet feed from the existing router.
So all your computers etc. are plugged into the white box which acts as a modem with no ADSL capability which means that your existing router is acting as a modem just like the BT Fibre modem
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
So all your computers etc. are plugged into the white box which acts as a modem with no ADSL capability which means that your existing router is acting as a modem just like the BT Fibre modem

No the white box acts as a dumb switch. Your original router acts as modem, router (doing NAT translation), DHCP and DNS. I have that setup and RouterStats works fine on to my DG834v1 through the SamKnows box.
vetterlein
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
and that is now another reason why I won't use it as I like my Netgear DG834G v4 with the ability to monitor via Routerstats and to fiddle the noise margin when needed

I have a DG834G (in a cardboard box) .... this sounds like you installed openwrt , is that right? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Nope - the version 4 works fine with the Netgear firmware
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@ vetterlein
No, that is not right. First thing is that you only need to put the router into debug mode with the official firmware to allow noise margin 'fiddling' or by simply using RouterStats Telnet option to set the margin. Lastly OpenWRT don't have a 'working' DSL firmware capable version available for the DG834Gv4, so you won't be able to use the built-in modem making it effectively useless with ADSL.
That's RPM to you!!