Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hacknet.org - take it seriously please!

Dinogram

hacknet.org - take it seriously please!

Hi,
REF: ticket number #64267656
My static IP address, which I have had now for some years, has somehow been associated to the domain hacknet.org in the last week.  So being a manager of a small network at my workplace, I perform some diagnostics myself using nslookup and tracert (trace route) to find out as much information as I can about the problem.  When I contact Plusnet to give them this information, the reply I received was very laid back as if the name hacknet.org didn’t mean anything and then he tried to sell me another product because my current product didn’t support static IP address and suggests I will lose my current static IP.  Umm, hello I have had this IP address for over 3 years, look at the notes on my account.  This guy obviously has no idea what he is talking about and should never have replied to this ticket, he is way out of his depth and shouldn’t probably be working on front line customer service.  However, if you pay peanuts you get.
I would have thought a name like hacknet.org would have rung a few alarm bells at Plusnet and they would have taken my enquiry a little more seriously and refrain from using it as an opportunity to sell me a more expensive product.  When you perform a tracert on hacknet.org it is passing through their servers, even when I do this from a computer outside of Plusnet domain (as in not my computer connected to their broadband).  It seems to me that Plusnet do not care about hacking, your personal information being hijacked by someone or spoofing.  I am thinking of moving to another ISP now and will take another two accounts with me if they do not take this kind of enquiry seriously.
I am new to the forum and this is my first post.  I have been a customer since 2008 and no real problems to moan about until now apart from the speed, bad connection etc. but this is mainly down to BTs openreach poor maintenance record and crap engineers.
Hacknet.org – take it seriously pelase!
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: hacknet.org - take it seriously please!

I've taken a look over the ticket and I agree, the response you received was poor and I'll address that with the agent and their line manager.
Although the domain name that's associated with the rDNS record is alarming, it's relatively simple to change to something else (which I've done now). The change of rDNS must have been performed by a CSC agent or system here as we're the only ones that have control of the records associated with your IP address, so it's most likely this is due to an error by someone when setting the rDNS for another similar IP address.
The changes I've made should take effect within the next few hours and will change the rDNS record associated with your account back to [your-ip].plus.com.
Sorry about the initial ticket response.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dinogram

Hi Chris,
Your doing a grand job on this forum - thanks for the reply.  It's nice to ear from someone who knows what they are talking about!
Cheers
Dinogram
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm keeping an eye on the rDNS and making sure it updates correctly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.