cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and public wifi

Timalay
Grafter

Plusnet and public wifi

Just and idea, but why don't plusnet offer public wifi say as an add-on.  Not unlimited as such, but say offer it in data bundles.  Plusnet already have their parent company to back this with.
25 REPLIES 25
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet and public wifi

Hi Timalay,
We're always looking at ways that we can improve our products and product ransge, if anything does come into the offing we'll certainly let you know.
Chris
Timalay
Grafter

Hi chrispurvey
Thanks for the reply.
Timalay
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

How much would you pay for it?  What hotspots would you want?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Timalay
Grafter

I think £5 per set amount of data (whatever you saw fit), would be fair.  Often i've been out and about.  I wanted to find something out on my mobile, and i've been in reach of a bt wifi hotspot.
mushy
Grafter

Why not offer hotspots for free as BT and several others do ?
Timalay
Grafter

There is normally a catch with getting free wifi with your isp, you normally have to give up a % of your bandwith to any passers by (with your isp) who may want to use to the internet.
dick:quote
will2012
Grafter

Quote from: mushy
Why not offer hotspots for free as BT and several others do ?

They are not free, you pay in your monthly subscription.
itsme
Grafter

After an initial outlay of £40 5 years ago I can access all BT hotspots except premium Openzone for free. Use it a lot as I also have Plusnet VoIP so can make free landline calls when out and about.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: Kelly
How much would you pay for it?   What hotspots would you want?

I suppose I'd be prepared to pay something like £1 a month assuming that there were enough hotspots to be able to use them realistically. It's more a convenience thing than significant usage. Maybe share the network with BT (or is that vaguely heresy).
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
gswindale
Grafter

It is things like this that used to set PN apart from other "mass-market" ISPs - namely something different that is actually useful for their customers.
I believe that once upon a time; PN had a deal (possibly with The Cloud) to provide internet access at Hotspots.
Setting up access to BT Openzone either much reduced from the "commercial" pricing or for free shouldn't be that difficult for PN/BT to achieve.
I know the BT setup uses FON to work and therefore requires either a BT Home Hub or a FON enabled router; but wasn't there talk at one time of rolling out the Home Hub to PN customers?  Seeing as the main network infrastructure is all the same; I don't fully understand why it is not possible to use Home Hubs with their features on PN?
mushy
Grafter

Maqybe it would be better to roll out BT HH3, better signal, better router and they could sythen some signal off to offer the free wifi hotspots as do BT and keep up with most other ISP's  Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

With the amount of free hotspots in fast food chains and the ability to tether devices to phones I'm not sure it's something I'd make use of and wouldn't want to pay for it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
snozboz
Rising Star

It may be entirely pie-in-the-sky, but what I'd really like is to be able to sign-in with any of the public wifi hotspots (paid or free) with one username and password (e.g. my Plusnet account), and for the cost to then be added to my mobile phone or broadband (e.g. Plusnet) subscription for that month.  The thing that really annoys me and prevents me from using public wifi hotspots even when I really want to, is that I have to register with yet another company and give them all my details before I can use the wifi.  Even when it's free wifi.