cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking premium rate numbers

joncooper
Grafter

blocking premium rate numbers

The ability to block premium rate numbers is a service that is freely available from BT - why is it not possible at plus.net ? (which is owned by BT)
I have just found 2x phone calls on my account totalling £60.26 for calls made at 04:31am and 04:57am
Plus.net are adamant that these calls have been made from my phone, despite everyone in the house denying even being awake at this time
Since the bill is in my name, apparently I have to pay for the calls, but I am not allowed to decide the should be blocked
As above, BT offered blocking FREE - if plus.net can't (or won't) then maybe it's time to move back to a company that lets ME decide what calls I want made from MY phone and what bills I am willing to be responsible for
Angry
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: blocking premium rate numbers

As a stop gap, set a limit on your call credit.
Mine is set at £10, for this very reason.
https://portal.plus.net/support/phone/credit-limit-and-top-ups-guide.shtml
waynem
Grafter

@PlusComUK
How ?
x47c
Grafter

PN don't offer free caller display either from what I remember unlike BT.
Perhaps this is why they are cheaper than BT? - 'cos they don't offer add-ons like this for free.
joncooper
Grafter

@PlusComUK
how do you do that? - can't see anything on the page linked to
I'm on the anytime plan for calls, so I'd be happy to set a credit limit of just £1
although, I did just read ~
If you reach or go over your credit limit, your calls (apart from emergency and operator) will be redirected to our Support Team and a charge of £5.76 will be added to your next bill.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to your Telephone Control Panel  in Member Centre, assuming you are logged into main site.
Link from within this page
https://portal.plus.net/support/phone/home-phone-faq.shtml
I would link directly, but it goes to my account !!
The_10th
Grafter

This is one major drawback of the PN Home Phone service and an issue that PN really need to address.
How does my credit limit work?
Your credit limit is similar to an overdraft for call charges.
Once a day your Itemised Bill will be updated as the calls you make are processed.
The charge for each call will be deducted from your credit limit (up to the maximum allowed for your product) and added to your next bill. At the end of the month you'll be charged the amount that's been deducted from your credit limit at that point. Your credit limit will then reset for the next month.

If you're on the anytime calls plan you would still have to fork out £75 max for the month. Understand having a limit but with premium calls and the inability to stop them, this limit could easily be reached and not a great safety net.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Last time I checked you could increase it but not reduce it.
To reduce it you had to raise a ticket
joncooper
Grafter

think OldJim is right, I can't see any way to reduce it from £75
TBH, on the anytime plan, I don't need any limit at all, I don't want the kids calling mobiles either
joncooper
Grafter

Quote from: The
...  but with premium calls and the inability to stop them, this limit could easily be reached and not a great safety net.

too true, £60 I'm being billed is just 2 calls
not to mention how unlikely it is for anyone in my house to be awake at 4:30am
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I just thought I'd check your account and can see that we're picking this up on ticket 59496445 for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet does offer a service to block premium rate &/or international calls but it is a chargeable option and has to be implemented manually by Plusnet.
As has been shown in other threads the credit limit offers little protection as it is only checked when call data is uploaded and this is at least at least one day in arrears.
joncooper
Grafter

what? so you're saying that even if I have a £10 limit on my phone account, a dodgy phone call in the middle of the night might not show up in the billing for up to 24 hours?
what's the point of being able to set a limit then?
joncooper
Grafter

Adam: when you say "we're picking this up on ticket 59496445 for you" do you mean you're doing exactly what I asked when I called for the second time to attempt to resolve this issue?
and, judging by the comment from  alanf, it seems maybe the credit limit option isn't worth relying on anyway
I do NOT understand why this is so hard, it's MY phone, I pay the bill, I do NOT want anyone to be able to call any premium rate number at any time ever.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
what? so you're saying that even if I have a £10 limit on my phone account, a dodgy phone call in the middle of the night might not show up in the billing for up to 24 hours?

To explain in a little more detail how the processing of call charges works. We process around 65% of calls on the same day as they are made (which is between midnight and 8.30PM). We then start processing the calls just after 9.15PM and that takes around 2.5 hours to complete so by the next day 99.83% of calls are listed on itemised bills. So just to clarify it's only calls made between 8.30 and midnight that won't show until the next day.
re ticket 59496445, that is there to reduce the credit limit. I've dropped you a PM with some more details
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team