Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking premium rate numbers

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: blocking premium rate numbers

Reading this so far it appears you are not going to credit him for the two calls to premium rate numbers that he claims he didn't make.
Also that unless the credit limit is set to zero he could be charged for similar calls again (although not as much).
Am I reading this correctly? I can't see how a credit limit of £10 would stop a single £20 call if you process the data retrospectively.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

If a credit limit is set to zero, any chargeable calls made would result in a bar being placed and a charge of £5.86 to remove it.
The chargeable call would still be charged for as would others until the bar is in place.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So messing about with the credit limit is not a satisfactory solution to this problem!
So far the only sensible suggestion seems to be to move the phone back to BT.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Whilst I agree with your first point I would elect not to agree with your second Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Just wanted you to know that I'm resolving this issue directly with the OP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
joncooper
Grafter

you are? I wonder where (or how?)
only thing I can see is a new 'question' that says "An SI order has completed" - no clue what that means
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, the details were put on a closed contact on your account so they won't show when you check your open tickets. I've passed the latest ticket back to you with an explanation, hope that helps.
The_10th
Grafter

Is the credit limit reduced in real-time as a call takes place and the call dropped if the credit for a chargeable call drops to zero? Why the charge for £5.86 too to lift any bar?
If a call blocking feature was present we wouldn't be here on this thread and others complaining about the lack of premium number blocking on similar threads. BT do it, BT own Plusnet so don't see what the hold-up is in bringing this feature across. Wouldn't it be in Plusnet's and customers' interest to really drive this forward rather than having to respond to bill shocks like stated in this post?
Like Jelv has said, the only real solution available to stop this in future is to move back to BT who do offer this service. I wouldn't want to have to go to BT but needs must and if this happened to me then it would be difficult to justify keeping the home phone service.
James
Grafter

We are charged £5.86 wholesale costs to remove the bar.
This (Premium Rate) isn't something we have categorically said that we won't do, it just isn't something that we currently offer.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jameseh
This (Premium Rate) isn't something we have categorically said that we won't do, it just isn't something that we currently offer.

PN doesn't offer a free service. PN does not a flexible call blocking service that can be turned on and off with a PIN by the customer. However,  PN can provide a Premium Rate call blocking service. If not what have I been paying for for the past couple of years?
James
Grafter

Yours has been handled manually, which is something we would prefer not to do.
Officially we only offer features which you can add via the portal.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm certain that I used to have a (DECT) phone (long-since dead now) that had a call barring feature built in several years ago (you could program certain prefixes to block unless a PIN was entered), unfortunately I can't seem to find any such features on current handsets.
I recently suffered some enormous call charges caused by my 11 year old buying credits for a browser based game and wish I still had that old phone.
The basic technology cannot be difficult to integrate in either a handset or the exchange/provider's systems but it is not in the interest of a telephone service provider to block chargeable calls so I doubt if Plusnet will do much about it unless enough customers migrate to providers that do Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Petard
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
I'm certain that I used to have a (DECT) phone (long-since dead now) that had a call barring feature built in several years ago (you could program certain prefixes to block unless a PIN was entered), unfortunately I can't seem to find any such features on current handsets.

We have a Panasonic TG8321E that has this feature, and we use it to block calls to premium numbers. This model is a few years old now, but I think its younger brothers will do the same. Of course, such a block can be bypassed by plugging in a different phone, which I suppose could be a problem, depending on whom you live with.
It's disappointing that the credit limit is 'soft'. This is a consequence of calls being handled by one company, billing by another, and batch processing of the data. I have asked in these fora - twice - whether the credit limit for Broadband Phone is equally 'soft'. No-one from PlusNet has troubled to reply, so I suppose it is, falling in to a similar hole between PN and Gradwell.
Charles101
Grafter

The ability to block premium rate or mobile numbers really should be something that OFTEL makes a free and mandatory offering to all customers from all providers. Somewhat topical with the recent £90,000 bill for a love sick customer from another provider. Providers probably aren't keen as it can be so profitable, but with so many new things which can be paid for via the phone it becomes more of an issue.  Likewise should be able to set limits on credit cards.