cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**apply head to desk**

daelis

**apply head to desk**

...repeat several times for closing the tab with the draft copy of this post in Safari, and Safari being useless, it wouldn't let me recover from closing a tab... *grr* *now in firefox 3*
---
Anyway, here's a summary of my lost post:
1) Very happy with PlusNet as a customer - I recommend to friends and family quite often
2) Was on the 30gb BBYW
3) Was taunted to upgrade by the marking word "Unlimitedz!!!1111" in PlusNet's site
4) Upgraded, everything was fine until I noticed my seeds from Apple were running painfully slow sometimes. (And Apple OS's are fat bottomed girls of my world... They make the rockin' world go round, but they are 6GB for each build of the OS)...
5) Did a quick google and found that PlusNet are actually throttling the hell out of connections... (and I'm not a particularly patient sorta guy)
6) Decided to go to Pro as it's the only unthrottled package
7) Dawned on me, that for paying 40p MORE for month, I'm now getting HALF of the 30GB cap. (Yes, 15GB). Seeing as the excess GB charge is £1/GB, I'd be currently £50/month in excess charges. Happy to pay more for the service - But there IS no service over and above Pro?
So that's my rant... Really, really frustrated that there's no unthrottled account (other than über business class) that has a cap higher than 15GB.
Pity, because, let's say there was (what I consider to be a) midrange account of maybe £25-£27 for 30GB cap, I'd be happy enough to pay it. £1/GB is really expensive compared to what BBYW used to be.
Who do I have to sleep with to get such a package??  Huh
30GB/month is doable on cap. 15GB/month is NOT. Bearing in mind that I probably download in the region of 70GB a month on this unlimited package.
But the whole thing of now paying more for HALF of the cap has really, really angered me.
Grr.
- Soen
3 REPLIES 3
Santiago
Grafter

Re: **apply head to desk**

Can't help you with your sleeping arrangements or your product issues, I'm afraid, but I can help you recover closed tabs.
In Firefox you can add this Tab Mix plus extension
Amongst the many features is the option to recover closed tabs.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The Unlimited product is more managed than your old BBYW Option 3 would have been. If you're struggling with the new product we can move you back to Option 3?
It may also be worth bearing in mind that Pro has free overnight usage too, so if you have some large downloads to do you can do them overnight and they won't be counted as part of your allowance.
MacOS10
Grafter

I too have noticed that Apple software updates in particular are running very slow (either from using the built-in 'Software Update' utility or downloading direct from their web site). Doesn't affect any other sites, just Apple's - other downloads are reasonably fast, but Apple ones are almost dial-up speeds. This happens on both my Macs at home, so I don't think it's confined to a particular computer. I've also rebooted the router several times too, but Apple downloads are still slow on PlusNet - I'm on the older Broadband Plus package, so I don't think it should be throttled this bad (never used to be).
Seems to have started about a month ago when I noticed a 50Mb QuickTime took over an hour to download on my otherwise speedy connection (6Mb+), before that time Apple downloads used to be fast. At the time I just thought it was a busy time of the day, but even now in off-peak hours it's slow. I'm having to download these updates at work and write them to CD to bring home, they download fast enough at work (the same 50Mb+ files download in 2-3 minutes!) so pretty sure this is PlusNet specifically throttling Apple downloads - obviously I can't prove that, but seems to suggest that's the case. Has anyone else noticed this?
As an aside, daelis: I assume you're part of the Apple Developer program - how's Snow Leopard turning out? Is there anything you can tell us about how it runs - obviously I realise there's certain things you can't talk about without breaking your agreement, but any juicy snippets would be gratefully received!