cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless (Wi-Fi) Security Tips

warbleeder
Grafter

Wireless (Wi-Fi) Security Tips

I was reading this article to see what tips where given (dose not matter to me as my network is hidden and mac access only + a big caps lower and numbers encryption)
how ever i saw nothing about how to hide a network and connect to a hidden one.... wouldnt this make things abit harder for people trying to hack?
and telling router/modem to allow certain mac address to connect would make it near on impossible?
only a suggestion as i know not all modem/routers support this but if people know how to do these i recon it would result in less and less broadband steals
12 REPLIES 12
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Wireless (Wi-Fi) Security Tips

Hiding the network SSID achieves nothing more than than asking people to pretend your not there,  while standard tools won't show you it's there, more advanced tools will show you all the hidden networks too.

While restricting connections by MAC address will provide a good level of security,  it still wouldn't stop a determined hacker as MAC addresses can be modified.
warbleeder
Grafter

yes but my point is it would make things harder and deter normal people from trying to hack them
when i first moved in i had several attempted hacks on my router (was not connected to net at the time)
now its hidden i have yet to see any attempts..... hiding your network is now basic security and most routers/modems allow it same with mac address to be fair
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Hiding the SSID has downsides, mostly related to it not really being a proper part of the wifi protocol, and is ineffective at hiding the SSID.
It's a bit like trying to improve security by removing your house number from your front door.
The "hidden" SSID will still be transmitted occasionally when computers connect, or when connected computers need to check the router is still there.
Similarly, MAC address filtering is also largely pointless because the MAC addresses are also transmitted unencrypted.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not sure if this is the same thing but I have set my wireless connections to not see other computers on the network - all the networked computers are wired - so that ipads, iphones, visiting laptops etc. can't access the network
warbleeder
Grafter

all im basically saying is i think it could do with a upgrade
if plusnet dont have time for it im happy enough to write one up and let them proof read/post on website
and aye ojim kind of same thing the above article is not basic stuff anymore
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Write a library article - you don't need anyone's permission to so that
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[quote=http://community.plus.net/library/]Important notice: Following a software upgrade that took place 25/01/12, the Community Library is currently running with reduced functionality. Whilst you will still be able to view and comment on existing articles, you will not be able to create new content or request edits to existing articles. You may also find that you are sporadically logged out of the Community Library despite still being logged into the forums and main Community Site. When trying to log back in you may encounter a vanilla Wordpress login prompt that does not accept your username/password. We are investigating these problems and hope to have them fixed as soon as we can.
(You need to hit the + against Announcements to see this)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

[Censored] - I forgot about that but I also would have thought it would have been sorted by now. We all know what thought did don't we
warbleeder
Grafter

ill keep a eye for library coming back up and ill type it up as and when it dose
just thought the point ive been putting across would come under Wireless (Wi-Fi) Security Tips  and help people with less knowledge about this stuff
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Worst thing about new routers is  that  as default they are ON  Embarrassed  which is wrong as if you have no use for wifi , like me wired only  you have to turn it off  .
it should be off !! unless you intend to use it , the thing is unfortunately a lot of people who dont realize will get hacked  Undecided
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hiding the SSID actually creates problems with Vista PCs and ( I believe) Windows 7 machines. MAC filtering is no use for protection against hackers because MACs can be spoofed very easily. Top level encryption using WPA2 with a long key of symbols/numbers/letters is the best security. Also its amazing how many people leave the log in credentials for the router as default, change both user name and password.
warbleeder
Grafter

i have windows 8 on all my computers now and dont have a problem with hidden SSID nor did i on windows 7 come to think of it...
only time i had a problem was when my wifi card started to die