Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will OFCOM ruling affect PN Customers

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Will OFCOM ruling affect PN Customers

Will the automatic annual renewal be in effect or do we have to call up ( or be called) to renew?
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Will OFCOM ruling affect PN Customers

Hi there,
The Ofcom ruling relates to contracts which automatically renew every 12 months.
Our Phone and Broadband services come with a 10 day notice period (there are also deferred setup and hardware contracts depending on what options you chose when you signed up).  As such, this ruling would not apply to us.  This is more to protect customers from having large exit charges when wanting to leave a supplier, when they were not aware that they had automatically been contracted in for a further 12 months.
coolbr33ze
Grafter

That ruling was brought in for companies like TalkTalk who like to take as much money as possible without you knowing. At least with +net you do get advanced warnings.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: coolbr33ze
That ruling was brought in for companies like TalkTalk

.... and, it has to be said, like BT. My main motivation for moving to Plusnet Home Phone was that I wouldn't accept the 'one day a year' opportunity to escape from a BT contract.
itsme
Grafter

Why do you believe it was one day a year opportunity with BT? If I remember correctly I cancelled a couple of weeks before the contact automatically renewed.
gswindale
Grafter

because you only have the one opportunity to cancel & move elsewhere before renewing automatically for another 12/18 months?
itsme
Grafter

yes one opportunity but it's not limited to one day a year when it automatically renew.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So you have to arrange for your new provider to take over the service on the exactly the right day? What happens if they are a day or so late and you continue to use the phone via BT for a couple of days after the renewal date?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

No you just cancel the 12 month contract and revert to a standard contact then you free to do what you want.
Simon_M
Grafter

Strictly speaking, 'once a year' is more accurate than 'one day a year'. If you don't notify them by renewal date that you wish to terminate the contract, then you are locked in for another year (or longer, depending on the contract). Exactly how it works in terms of moving before or after the renewal date I don't know, because I moved rather than get into a contract of that type.
On a related (but not identical) note, I'm disappointed that PN business customers can't move product without being locked into a new 12 month contract. It's just about understandable that a company might want to recoup the initial cost of winning a new customer over a 12 month period, but that hardly applies to an existing customer wanting to change product.