cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont peple listen!!!!

CrazyDrew
Dabbler

Why wont peple listen!!!!

Move to Plus.Net a few weeks back on a phone and BB, and apart from a few periods our experience was generally positive. All that has changed. About three weeks ago we stopped being able to receive incoming phone calls out going and BB were fine. This lead us to believe that the issue was with the phone, rather than the line. So we purchased a new phone, which did not solve the problems. So as plus were/are our phone supplier as well as BB we reported a fault to them last week, reponse was quick and effiecant, indicating that there was a fault on our line (the fact that somebody then tried to phone us (after being told  we cannot recive incoming calls might be an indication of what is coming next).
Last Monday (Bank Holiday)  Open Reach came round, nice fella, comfirmed we did have a faulty line. He replaced out master socket faceplate with one which has an intregated  microfilter. I've attachted this as an attachment. He also replaced the faceplate on the socket where we plug the router in. This is also pictured. All seemed to be well until a few minutes after i left and realised we no longer had any broadband. Again a few minutes passed and the guy came back and said that the fault was still there and was outside the house (we have a reoccuring issue with this piece of equipment  - it keeps getting pinced by the wall above it.
We were (somethimes) now able to recieve incoming phone calls. But had no broadband  Cry  Knowing that something was up we decided to investamagate. we tried sticking a microfilter directly into master socket - we are able to access broadband. So we put that back on and try the filter on the of the socket, again we have broadband. The only place we cannot access it the place where we want to and used to be able to.
Tried telling this to plus and what do they say, the fault is currenlty being investetaged by our suppliers, there is nothing new to report, etc etc etc, you try an tell them what there are now two issues, and all you gewt back is some nonsense about how its a  stillon going. THESE ARE 2 DIFFERENT PROBLEMS - listen. Alli want to have the same functionality i used. i know PN didnt come into my house and muck up my connectionsm but they could listen and try to helprectify this problem rather than treat me like an imbecile.

15 REPLIES 15
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Why wont peple listen!!!!

I'm rather concerned that we have sent this back to our suppliers with the described setup.
The change to the master socket to the type which has a integrated filter, has resulted in all other internal points of connection being automatically filtered.
In a nut shell, the only point the broadband will work with the present master socket, is, the master socket.
The installation of this master socket is at the engineers descretion and would only be performed with your own consent. Unfortunatly, this means that you would need to purchase a new front plate for your master socket in order for the service to once again work from the internal point you would normally use it.
prichardson
Grafter

Having found my VPN fob, I can see there is a bit more too it than this. As such, this issue should remain with our suppliers as the root cause problem is not resolved. Despite your phone service now working, further work is still required.
However, the rest of the information stands. This filtered master socket has resulted in all internal extensions being filtered by default without the requirement for a seperate filter.
CrazyDrew
Dabbler

Thanks very much for the quick reply. This was exactlythe response i had hoped for.
The enginnerr told us that it was standard practice to put this on, which was why it was not questioned,

prichardson
Grafter

The nature of the initial fault you reported, it would indeed be the standard practice.
Normally, these face plates are only installed by Broadband engineers rather than PSTN (voice) engineers. However, your description had all the hallmarks of being a filtering based problem. With this in mind, the first thing would be to make use of a filter built to the correct SIN and as engineers do not carry normal filters to leave with customers, the face plate is the way forward.
In your case, the filtering was not the cause and a further external fault was found. Although I have not looked direct at the engineer notes, it would appear either the prodding by the engineer has temporary fixed it, or a slightly more robust temporart fix applied. It has been referred for a dig for additional fixes (hell, the face plate could be assisting as part of this, pending the dig)
There are some alternatives available to the use of a standard front plate, all of which come at a cost, but will leave a more robust finish in your internal setup. Some of these will be at the same cost as moving back to a standard setup.
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1
This is a modified version of the front plate you have been provided with. Unlike your current one, it has terminals for both filtered and unfiltered internal extensions (in place of just the filtered). The modification is actually nothing more than the terminal block (unless they have been modified further since my last purchase).
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16187&cat=262&page=1
This is a replacement master socket with the standard type front plate, though it is the more modern NTE5A, which essentially has an intergrated iPlate.
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
This is a custom front plate which exceeds the BT specifications for filtering. This offers much the same as the first one linked above, so both filtered and unfiltered internal cabling. I have a few of these in place on installs I have done.
CrazyDrew
Dabbler

Ahh, this is starting to become a lot clearer,
When he was here the engineer was telling me about the work he had been doing installing the FTTC  equipment in the next village, so your description of it being standard practice for boadband enginneers would make sense.
What i am a little less clear about thougth is why when he replaced the faceplace on the socket where we used to have the router plugged in he gave us a new micro filter for that socket that he had in the van- thats whats slightly puzzling me now.  Huh
Still thank you for the attention your giving this.
prichardson
Grafter

Ah, I did wonder from your original post if you had been saying the second socket had been replaced as well.
The picture of the second socket is not clear enough to make out to any degree. As such, I cannot quite understand what if any change may have been performed.
Do you have a better photo of the socket?
Was the backplate of the socket replaced as well?
A photo or better description of this part may negate this, but some prior installs by BT engineers, mostly pre or very early broadband days, saw them use master sockets in odd configurations as secondary sockets. This was certainly the case in my first broadband installation and it isn't right.
In very old installs, the master socket was the old type master socket. I have seen these in recent installations as well (though mainly serviced offices). They look like a secondary socket, but has all the master socket components on the rear. Again, these as not wise and certainly not appropriate as a secondary socket. If this was the case, it should have been removed as part of the original NTE5 installation, so was appropriate for the engineer to get rid.
This itself would never have allowed you to continue with the BB at the secondary socket after the NTE5A was installed, but it will never have helped your overall telephone and BB as a whole.
CrazyDrew
Dabbler

I'll try and dig out a better photo, but he did replace the back plate as well.
The wiring at that part of the house is a bit of a mess. Until my partner moved into the house a 10 years back there were no additional sockets in the house. They partner paid to have another in the dining room, two upstairs in the bedrooms, and finally the one where we had the router plugged in.
Then our employers paid to have an additonal ISDN line put into the house, the "box" of which somehow came out of the router socket. - messy.
On the positive side contractors working for BT have now dug a hole in the street. Althougth to be honest i'm a bit puzzled why they didnt dig it about 20 meters further up the street where somebody (On Tuesday) spray painted BT and a box on the pavement, right where the lines for out street come out of the ground and into a box on the side of the house. Althougth to be fair they have dug that hole 5 times in the past nine years - so perhaps they are confident thats not the cause of out issues.  Cheesy
Shame broadband speeds have now plummeted. I can live with no phone. But no broadband is just wrong  Grin

AndyBude
Dabbler

When you've been here a while you will learn not to raise a ticket containing more than one question.  I have had some success with writing "ATTENTION this message contains more than one question.  Please ensure you read all of it before replying"  Doesn't always work but sometimes you can get at least 2 out of 3 questions responded to (answered is always a bit more tricky)
CrazyDrew
Dabbler

BT, after a week have now realised that the hole is in the wrong place. Guseed that last night when somebody had repainted an even bigger BT + X where the hole should have been dug.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Was that your doing?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Do the older members remember the classic Bernard Cribbins song "Hole in the Ground" !! Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

CrazyDrew
Dabbler

Thought you all a hold update. The old, incorerectly located hole has now been filled in by BT contractors.
We now await the opening up of the correct hole. Obviously being 10 meters up the road it was a diificult task, hence the need for two visits.  Shocked
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The digging dept will be a seperate arm[sic] of BT to the filling-in arm.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."