cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Plusnet not reward loyalty

Pip1

Why does Plusnet not reward loyalty

Why do plusnet offer better deals to new customers then existing customers
They show no loyalty to there  existing customers.
I have been with them (Force9/Plussnet) for 18 years but someone that is a new customer  can get a lot better deal than me.
This is wrong. What is the point of being loyal to plusnet  when you get no  loyalty back.
£23.99 new customers £27.99 me

I am off but its with a note of sadness as I have always had good service but I don't like being taken for granted

32 REPLIES 32
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Why does Plusnet not reward loyalty

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from 'General Chat' to 'Plusnet Feedback'

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yeah.... The only "loyalty" you get back from PlusNet is the option of "haggling" with them for a new contract... which,  may, or generally may not, be as good as the new customer deal.

It`s a scandal, really,.................. as bad as your energy company,and Motor Insurance company rip-off`s where they send you an "automatic renewal" price... hoping you won`t bother them, as it would be too much hassle for you, so you just let it ride... and consequently pay "over the odds" for the exact same service you had before, but someone else is getting at a lower price..

What can we do about it?   well, we can move to another supplier... but why do that if you are satisfied with the present one, except for the price ?  We can only agree to THEIR contract terms.... unfortunately,

Customers cannot supply a contract for them  to agree with ... it`s  totally ONE SIDED...  as a customer ,... you MUST agree to THEIR terms and conditions, other wise.... ......

We, as LOYAL CUSTOMERS should be treated FAIRLY by these big business bully boys  ...We may be in the majority, but they hold all the cards.  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

It's totally wrong but if you have a decent service then it might be a lot less hassle to haggle rather than move.

The trick is to go to price comparison sites and find the cheapest equivalent service. Ring Plusnet and select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option as these staff seem to have more latitude to negotiate. Quote the competitors price and ask for it to be matched. You might get an acceptable offer. Do not accept their first offer if it's unacceptable, you can always have another go or just take your business elsewhere.

Good luck!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

@EmilyD Was looking at a suggestion I made when we got the chocolate earlier this year.

Surely it would be better for, after 5yrs 2 weeks credit, 10 yrs 1 months credit, 15yrs 2 months credit and if achieved 20 yrs 3 months credit (Max) all to be spread across 12 months. Perhaps this is something Plusnet could look into.

The response was

@EmilyD I like your idea of rewarding long-standing customers with free service, with the length of the free service dependant on the length of time that they have been our customer. I will pass this on.

I can find no evidence of this being done so far.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That is because it's never going to happen.Smiley

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When you think about it, it's a lot more one sided than at first glance.

The old customer already has a connection. They already have the supplied router.

So if anything they should be offered a cheaper price than new customers.

Instead all we get is the cap in hand option.

salmo
Rising Star

@Pip1

I agree with your sentiments. I had been with PN for over 10 years and until this year had been offered reasonable retention deals, although sometimes on 2nd or 3rd call to Customer Options. Why can't you get a reasonable offer first time and save yours and PN's  time? This year the offer was nowhere near as good as the contract that was finishing so I decided to leave. I had never changed before and was apprehensive but have to say the change to Sky went smoothly. The price for ADSL was £1.50 per month cheaper than PN offer (which involved paying line rental in advance) and with £75 from TopCashback (paid already) and a £50 credit card (already spent!) it means over £130 saving in the year even after p and p for router. I had been happy with PN and was sorry to leave. If PN had offered me a deal similar to new customers I would have stayed and may well return at some stage.

No doubt Sky will play the same game but as loyalty is not rewarded I may well change again if the Sky retention offer is poor having found out how easy it is.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the only solution for this issue would be to ban any kind of introductory discount and have all customers on the same service paying the same monthly amount. No haggling, no special deals, no chance of paying a different amount for the same service because you happened to have signed up at a different date.

I think the problem is that the new customer prices are unsustainable.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@mort7890  I doubt many people would stick around for five years just so they can have two weeks' free internet.  They'd probably save more by switching just once during that time, and a lot more by switching at the end of every contract.

chinariley

Yes, this is also beginning to annoy me.

I've been on Business Unlimited Fibre since Plus Net launched the product, and with Plus Net for around 18 years. I've been merrily coughing-up £47.50 monthly, like a flippin' mug. Admittedly, the service has been stellar since replacing the cheap Trendnet router with some decent Cisco Meraki gear. 

Colour me not very surprised when I discover that Plus Net haven't been beating my door down to offer the same service for the £35 they're using to tickle-up new business. Come on, Plus Net, you can do better than this!

Are you really going to force me to cancel the service and start a new contract to get the new price (which will also cost you a router)? Because, if there isn't a competitive offer out there, then I will game this little system of yours.

Play fair. Keep goodwill. Profit!

Baldrick1

@chinariley

Welcome to the forum.

It might allow you to think you've 'won' by paying P&P on a new router that you don't want but I suspect that cancelling a contract and then starting a new one will not get you a Plusnet new subscriber deal without a load of hassle and loss of service for an indeterminate time.

This works for most that try it and is easy: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Why-does-Plusnet-not-reward-loyalty/m-p/1552788#M8183...

Moderator and Customer

chinariley

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm trying for a second time to have their retention team contact me so that we can haggle the terms of a newer, fairer contract.

Heck, I'm happy to stay for another 12 months for the price they offer the new contracts for the same period. Seems fair, and I won't be an administrative burden (or require a router), so seems like a good deal for them.

As for getting a new subscriber deal, that's not a problem really. There are numerous options open to me to get around that kink. Don't worry Baldrick, I have a cunning plan 😉

Baldrick1

@chinariley wrote:

I'm trying for a second time to have their retention team contact me so that we can haggle the terms of a newer, fairer contract.

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will pick up this post and kick the customer options team into action. However I still prefer my suggested approach as it shows that you're actively investigating leaving, which should concentrate minds a little more. There's rarely much of a wait on that line, probably none if you have a business account.

Moderator and Customer

chinariley

I hope so, mate.

That's what's so sad. I don't want to leave them but XLN (who I'm with for voice) offers 12 months at a similar price on a 24-month contract that bounces back to £42 after 12 months. It's not much but I still come out slightly better off. 

I'd rather support a British company who doesn't offshore their jobs, which is why I've not been tempted away. But the new subscriber prices mean they're fair game.

I really wish Plus Net management would take a more enlightened approach to loyal customers, such as an automatic, hassle-free drop to offer prices after they're out of contract. Imagine the goodwill that would generate!