cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who benefits from DLM?

ctech500
Grafter

Who benefits from DLM?

Ever since DLM was introduce it caused nothing but troubled  Banded Profiles  high SNR etc make the whole experience very tedious
I have been "banded again" for the second time in a short space of time! .It would interesting to hear the thoughts of other users.
Maybe PN could ask BTW to run a NO DLM /SRA trail
What do you think?
5 REPLIES 5
MikeyM
Grafter

Re: Who benefits from DLM?

I think this is the precise reason that I am leaving plusnet.
I have also been banded, so getting half the speed that I did with my previous LLU suppier, off to LLU again now.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Maybe PN could ask BTW to run a NO DLM /SRA trail

There was a NO DLM trial http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82898.0.html
and here's the potential results http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86875.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ctech500
Grafter

I remember the trail now thanks for reminding me. However the CCSNR  due in September falls short of doing away with DLM altogether which is a concern for me
I say do away with DLM altogether.
I  am no expert but wouldn't DLM override CCSNR  if that's the case what is the point of it.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
We've been working very hard with BTW over the whole issue of DLM. The trial we ran earlier in the year gave a lot of valuable data about how DLM often doesn't do the job that it was designed for. We've now got 2 pieces of work confirmed which go part way into introducing the functionality that we want.
The first is CCSNR (customer controlled SNR) which will allow us to reset line profiles to 6dB which for customer that get put on high SNR/banded profiles after having a short period of instability which perhaps they were the cause of (our test line in the office got banded this week because we've been testing out some new routers and had lots of resyncs in a short period of time) or which they know has gone away (thunderstorm or fixing wiring or a fault for example). This is due to be delivered in September
The 2nd is custom stability thresholds. For each line we currently have the choice of 3 stability options, standard, stable and super stable. Each threshold has a limit of when DLM will react in terms of the mean time between errors on the line and the mean time between resyncs. The custom option lets us set per line a different threshold of when DLM reacts, so for example we could set it so that DLM will only react if the line drops out on average once every 5 minutes. This is due in November.
It's not exactly what we're after in terms of a full solution but we are getting closer and we're still pushing for full control of DLM and BTW are still investigating this as an option.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks for the update Dave.
and we're still pushing for full control of DLM

Keep pushing, that's what we really need!. Its got to be better for all concerned if the ISP's have more direct control of the DLM.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.