Did you mean: 

BT DLM Testing - List of accepted customers and profiles

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

BT DLM Testing - List of accepted customers and profiles

Hi guys,
I've had the list back of the customers that have been selected to go on the trial and also a list of profiles that they are currently on. Some lines didn't make it on for a number of reasons including not enough data on the line or the line hadn't been used much, or the line was seen to be near enough perfect.
The list is below, the Current profile may look a little complicated but I'll split it up using mine as an example:
WBC 4M - 9M - downstream banding, if it's set to 160K - 24M then read it as no banded profile
Medium delay (INP 2) - downstream interleaving level, no delay = off, low = off, medium = on
6dB Downstream - downstream target SNR
448 - upstream speed - (448 or UC = uncapped)
Medium delay (INP 2) - upstream interleaving level, no delay = off, low = off, medium = on
6dB Upstream - upstrean target SNR
(ADSL2+) - access technology, will always be ADSL2+ for your lines
Next set of columns are what you all requested. Based on the profiles that are currently set let me know if you want to change.
The trial is set to start on Monday, I'll be putting in the changes I've got on most of the lines around Monday lunchtime and hopefully have them take effect Monday afternoon (your line should resync when the change is made).
The trial is set to last for 5 weeks finishing on 26th February. At the end of the trial everyone will have the option of staying on the profile they are on or switching back to normal and have DLM act as it does now. Do consider that if you stay on a fixed profile that if the line conditions change  you may not benefit from a higher speed if it improves or you may see instability if it gets worse. We will be able to switch it back to normal DLM after the end of the trial, it just may take a little longer than during the trial.
We are allowed to make up to 1 change per line per day, we will also be getting line data on each line to be able to see how stable they are.
If something goes drastically wrong with a profile change then let me know either by posting here or sending me a PM (if you can't connect then call through to faults, let them know you are on the DLM trial and to pass a message on to me and I'll pick it up) and I'll do my best to change it back as soon as I can but it may be a next day change. For this reason I don't intend to make profile changes on a Thursday or Friday unless it is to back out a change that has gone wrong.
Are there any questions?
Username Current Profile Interleave Down SNR UPSNR Banded
Dave Tomlinson WBC 4M - 9M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
32110 WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 15dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
Barry Zubel WBC 3M - 6M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
chrisyoung WBC 7M - 14M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
Mav WBC 3M - 6M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
deltec WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 15dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 9 6 off
dannykos WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 12dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
Paul03 WBC 160K - 24M Low delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 3 3 off
scubarew WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 15dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
grahamt WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 0 0 4864-9728
penfold WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 15dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 9dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 12 9 off
Blackcurrant WBC 7M - 14M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, 448 No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
bluewhale WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 15dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
spock WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 12dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
carrot63 WBC 2M - 4M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 0 0 3328-6656
Toenex WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
stallan WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 12dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 9dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
R WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 12dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 12 6 off
Bojangles WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
whisky WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 12dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 9 6 off
Mad Moggies WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 9dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 3 6 off
ajbrown1965 WBC 4M - 9M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
mvdb WBC 4M - 9M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 12 off
adiewoo WBC 3M - 6M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 3 6 off
Colin1 WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
OrbitOne WBC 1M - 3M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 12 12 off
robr WBC 2M - 4M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 9 6 off
Shaun2000 WBC 1M - 3M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 9dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
walker23 WBC 3M - 6M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) off 6 6 off
Be3G WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 15dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+) on 6 6 off
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
424 REPLIES 424
Be3G
Grafter

Re: BT DLM Testing - List of accepted customers and profiles

Looks good Dave. If you've time at some point might I suggest that you use SMF's table BBC codes to help with the formatting though – might make things a bit clearer.
Also, could you set me on 9dB first please – considering that I'm currently on 15dB, I think jumping straight down to 6dB might be a too optimistic. If the line still copes with that fine (it used to vary between that and 6dB) then perhaps we can try 6dB later on.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Looks from that as though interleaving is currently on my line though I thought it wasn't. I'll see what it does with it off as I remember it was OK off at some point in the past before there was a problem with the line,now definitely fixed with BT cable being replaced! (Nothing on my settings page to turn it on and off.)
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
grahamt
Rising Star

How do you want feedback? I'm guessing you (Dave) will create a special thread for comments by people on the trial. Will that be sufficient or should we send you PMs too (e.g. if someone wants to request a change of profile)? I assume we won't need to raise a ticket.
[Edit: Doh! I wasn't reading the whole message thoroughly before I wrote the above paragraph. All these questions are, of course, covered in Dave's message. Sorry about that.]
It should be an interesting ride. In recent weeks I reckon my line has at last reached a stable, and maybe an optimum, setting (unbanded, target downstream SNR 6, syncing at 7974/805). It will be interesting to see what happens when it's put in the 4864-9728 band. Either there will be no difference, as the current settings are comfortably inside that band, or the DLM will try to set the line running at the upper limit, find that the line can't handle this and - well, I'm not sure.
The good thing is that if things get bad we can ask for a quick change.
Oh, one other question: I'm going to be away for a few days in the early part of the trial. Normally I'd switch the router off while I'm away, but would it be better to leave it on?
Graham
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What's the point in ignoring users lines which are supposedly "too stable"?
My line is certainly nowhere near perfect - but apparently it's not of interest.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Grafter

Dave, thanks for all your help and pleased to see that I'm on the trial. I'm happy to start with the figures quoted above. I was wondering, I've requested downstream SNR of 6 but as we all know this fluctuates during the day with it falling during the night. So will my SNR try to fix at 6 by varying the sync speed or will the target be set at 6 at some time with a fixed sync speed but variable SNR? If the latter when is it fixed, during the day with higher speeds or at night and so lower speeds?
Be3G
Grafter

The ‘fixing’ of the SNR applies to the SNR profile of the line when it syncs; once the line has synced nothing changes (unless it drops of course). So if you sync at 12pm with a fixed SNR of 6dB, you might find the actual SNR that your router reports dropping to 4 or 5dB in the evening, but your speed won't change whilst your line remains in sync… although of course, if your ‘actual’ SNR drops too low that evening, you probably will lose sync because there will be too much interference in the ADSL signal.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: dave

At the end of the trial everyone will have the option of staying on the profile they are on or switching back to normal and have DLM act as it does now.
We are allowed to make up to 1 change per line per day, we will also be getting line data on each line to be able to see how stable they are.

at the end of the trial will we still be able to get you to change our fixed snr? or will we be stuck on that forever?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: grahamt
Oh, one other question: I'm going to be away for a few days in the early part of the trial. Normally I'd switch the router off while I'm away, but would it be better to leave it on?

That's entirely up to you really, would be interesting to see how it performs when it's not being used, could be that it's different to how it performs when it's active. Less/no data will of course mean less/no errors on the line which is one of the things that causes DLM to make changes, so would be interesting to see if there are any losses of sync. etc.
What's the point in ignoring users lines which are supposedly "too stable"?

Some lines have been running on 6dB/6dB no interleaving and have virtually no errors so because of limited slots available some of these were removed from the list, my test line in the office is one of them too.
So will my SNR try to fix at 6 by varying the sync speed or will the target be set at 6 at some time with a fixed sync speed but variable SNR?

Like Be3G says the 6dB target SNR is aimed for whenever your line resyncs. So if it resyncs in the morning at say 4Mbps and then of the course of the day the SNR decreases in the evening you may be at 4Mbps with 3dB SNR. If it then loses sync it will resync and may resync at 3Mbps but at 6dB. Then assuming it doesn't lose sync again when you look at the router the following morning it could be sync'd at 3Mbps with the SNR being 9dB.
at the end of the trial will we still be able to get you to change our fixed snr? or will we be stuck on that forever?

If you're on a particular fixed SNR profile at the end of the trial then we can either leave you on that one, change to another profile or go back to DLM as it is now. If you decide to stay on a fixed SNR then after the trial, until they roll this out as a live option, we'd only be able to change to having DLM switched back on rather than switch between the difference profiles.
The list is going in now and should hopefully have the changes take effect later today.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Grafter

Dave, Will you or PN inform us when you have actioned our change request?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As soon as I hear back they are done I'll post back.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Grafter

Well somethings happened. Look at my low SNR at 0.8. Not sure how well that will work but OK at the moment.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Lost internet at around 4:30pm and when I looked at the router stats I had re-synced at just over 5600 (the highest yet IIRC).
Unfortunately I needed to power down and back up again to reconnect.
Stats now are:
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 5385 kbps 1023 kbps
Line Attenuation 45 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 6 db
although the DL NM seems to fluctuate between 3 & 6dB
Edit: Have just seen it as low as 2dB

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Be3G
Grafter

Yet to see a change here…
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

32110, you've gone from a target of 15dB to 6dB which is a pretty big change. The DLM may have you 15dB because there is a lot of variance in your SNR, we get line data a couple of days in arrears so I won't be able to see the level of errors until the middle of the week but it might drop later this evening.
Mine's done as well, was at 6827/440kbps now showing the following:
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 7286  776 

SNR Margin (dB): 3.9  9.6 
Attenuation (dB): 52.5  27.4 
Output Power (dBm): 12.9  0.0 
Not had confirmation that the lines have all been done yet, I think they are working through them in order so Be3G your line will be the last one that gets done.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology