Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Wrote The Plusnet Router Manual?

zedingrove
Grafter

Who Wrote The Plusnet Router Manual?

Hi
Lets presume I am a novice when it comes to setting up a wireless broadband connection,
hang on a minute I am a novice so to speak!
Scenario: You are told by plusnet that you will be connected on or before mid-night 18th June
and just like a big kid, (who has been using a mobile PAYG dongle for past 2 years) can not wait to launch
your broadband connection.... Follow the instructions to the (well almost), get a green light for go on the internet, great open your browser, bam.
You did not wait the full 15 minutes, as instructed in the user guide.
So you start over, but this time even after waiting 20 + mins all you have is a red light, stil you open up your browser just in case, nope.
By this time frustration sets in, and so you start all over again. But this time you get neither a red/green light still you leave it on, and nothing.
By now you have been trying for some time and decide to go to bed and leave it.
The next day you come home from work eager to get going but still no light on the internet connection, so you try ethernet cable, nothing still. One last time you pick up the user guide and go through every thing, still no joy (of course at this point any novice would of phoned support, but though this is my 1st wifi internet I have 20 years of pc usage).
Now to the point: On the second to last page is an FAQ how do I reset my router? (Though what is written is slightly wrong, "when the power light turns red release the reset button. Should read when all lights switch off release reset button). On the back page you have... "What are my router's lights telling me?" For the internet light if you have an off light, then the answer is "There's no internet connection".
Know where can I find in your user guide what to do if you have  zero state for your internet connection, why?  Huh

3 REPLIES 3
Heloman
Grafter

Re: Who Wrote The Plusnet Router Manual?

What about the very bottom of page 11:
"If your Broadband light still hasn't turned green, call Plusnet technical support on 0800 432 0200"
?
zedingrove
Grafter

Well yes there is that, and believe me I was close to giving in!
But look at this way you ring tech support (used to work 3rd level support my self), you explain the problem, they in turn ask exactly what you have done, by now 10 minutes have passed, then they get you to check all of your connections so on and so on. Till finally they get you to do a factory reset.
Alternatively could just add need to press reset if.....  Cool 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'm not sure about the guide that came with the 585, but I've just checked on the one we're sending out with the 582 and there's a page (page 12 in fact) that explains what to do if the internet light is still red after 15 minutes or so. You should get either the walled garden page or the page for the router, and it explains what to do in each of these situations.
Sorry if you got a 585 and it didn't have that information, but I hope that convinces you that we've addressed the issue there Smiley