Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: What

name changes for a start..... as previously mentioned,  several have stated that there seemed to be little point in changing General Chit Chat to the "flouncy" title it has now.    If you insist on change for the sake of it, then that is your decision, but I suggest that if you wish to bring together subjects under an "umbrella" title, then at least put the old titles underneath so that we can get used to where the "old stuff" used to be posted, and to post it under the new title.  I know some of the titles haven`t changed (the first four for example, so why change "General Chit Chat" ? and the others? well that is just for the sake of change to say "there you are, a "new look" forum chaps....."
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As a dyslexic I find the forum a lot harder to navigate, and the name changes make it harder for me.  Sad
techguy
Grafter

I did like the old layout better but I do understand that there comes a time when things have to be reorganised not least to ensure you have enough server space.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: techguy
not least to ensure you have enough server space.

The price of storage is coming down and the price of server blades are coming down as well, so if it is for storage space that is not an excuse, nore is processing.

techguy
Grafter

storage/blade server prices maybe coming down Gary but it does depend on how much capacity has been devoted to the community forum function and the budget available to maintain the portal platform (servers, storage, switchgear)
Ianwild
Grafter

I think we were just trying to make things clearer for newer customers, but we can change the name of the chat forum 'back by popular demand' if no one objects - It's really not a big issue at all. Any other quick ones people think would be better changed? I'll list the ones that have come up and we can change em without a problem if everyone is happy with that.
Cost certainly doesn't come into the changes, and in fact we'd love the forums to be busier and produce more data for us to store - the costs of storage are pretty insignificant when you consider all the other costs involved with running an ISP. What we do want is to keep things simple but at the same time make sure we're organising our discussions in logical and well ordered ways. 
Ian
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Ian Wild, thank you for listening, and thank you for proving me write on the storage of the forum, and yes can we have the General Chit-Chat back, it will help to make my life a little bit easier.  Wink
mcgurka
Grafter

Yes, please change back to general chit chat - must admit I havent been around the forums for a while - been on travels, but I second - what in the name of something have you done?
Graphically, it looks a bit cluttered, and its far too long winded to drill down to anything now - I do appreciate that its to make it easier for new customers, but at the expense of your old ones?
Not applicable

Have waited a while to add any further comments about the new layout to see if I could get used to it but I still find it too complicated.
It is the sub-sections that I don't get on with. Any chance of returning to the straightforward sections please?
atbs1
Grafter

The subsections annoy me too.
Ianwild
Grafter

I think we probably have a few too many sub-forums, but personally I'm finding the forums as a whole easier to navigate now than before. If we sorted out the layout, and reduced the amount of sub-forums (by losing or merging some), I can't help up think the sub-forums would come into their own.
It would be worth collecting a wish-list from people and if no one does I will start a thread to that effect in the Community site area over the weekend or next week.
Ian
artificer
Grafter

for the most part i find myself ignoring the sub forums.  anything that crops up in one of them turns up in my unread threads/posts.  as for the titles of sections, i don't care so long as they are consistent and descriptive.  'junkyard', 'sandbox', 'friendly discussion', 'general chit-chat' - it's all the same to me.