cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three phone calls, four different stories

kouya
Dabbler

Three phone calls, four different stories

I've just moved house, so we have a new account on the phone line and I'm trying to get broadband installed with Plusnet. I logged onto the website and did all of the stuff that is needed there and sat back to wait.
The next day, I looked on the online checker at work and found that there was a problem on the line. So I called PlusNet:
1. No problem sir, there was a previous broadband subscriber on your line (the people we bought the house from had BT broadband - though we now had a new number) but we have sorted that out and things are moving forward.
The next morning I got six texts from Plusnet telling me that there was a problem: so I called again.
2. There is a previous broadband subscriber on your line, sir and we can't do anything. You have to phone BT and ask them for a MAC code and ask them to remove the brodband.
I called BT who told me that as I wasn't the one who had had broadband previously, I couldn't request a MAC code and that PlusNet would need to request that the broadband be removed. So I called plusnet again.
3. Oh, of course you can't ask for a MAC code sir. I will contact BT personally and ask them to remove the broadband set up and then we can get on with setting things up for you. I will email you to let you know I've done it.
Four days later: no email...
So, I had three calls with PlusNet (each one involving a long time in a queue) and three completely different stories. I have no idea where my broadband request is now (despite the salesman assuring me that I would be online within five days of moving house). As far as I can tell, no one that I have spoken to at PlusNet has followed through on any action they said they would do. They may have followed through, but as they haven't emailed me, I can't tell. My guess is that I have lost a week in the process of getting broadband installed. I don't want to complain on a public forum, but PlusNet don't have a customer service email address which means I have to rant in public - sorry about that.
2 REPLIES 2
James
Grafter

Re: Three phone calls, four different stories

Hiya,
We've got absolutely no problem with your posting in here about any difficulties you have with ourselves or the services that we offer.  That's what this forum is here for.
When there is a tag on the line, this can be solved one of two ways (normally).  Sometimes, you can get a MAC Code from the exiting supplier, although this generally won't work if you're not the account holder, so it's normally better for us to contacts BTs Tags team to ask them to remove the service from the line.  They'll be able to see if you're a new tenant and get this sorted for us.  They appear tyo have done this as your line is now showing as clear and as such, I've placed your order and updated your ticket.
I do apologise for the conflicting information that you have been given, but I believe that we should be on the right track now.
kouya
Dabbler

Re: Three phone calls, four different stories

Thanks for the reply and the clarification JamesH. I am amused to note that the tracker is now on 'We are now checking if broadband is available where you live. ' given the hassle we've had getting rid of a previous install.  Grin
But it's good to see things moving - thanks again.