cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happened to FTP?

minifreak

What's happened to FTP?

For the last two days I have been unable to use ftp except to my PN web space. In response to a question PN say that ftp is "not really supported" and that I should upgrade my account to "value". This is rediculous. FTP is an integral part of internet service, along with mail, news, telnet and more recently, web browsing.
I signed up for "up to 8Mbps unlimited" what I am getting is more like up to 8kbps unusable. If you provide what I paid for and it's not sufficient then I might consider upgrading. As I see it you are making your service as bad as possible for customers on older contracts. That doesn't encourage us to migrate to other PN products. I used to recommend PlusNet; now I warn people off it. Simply cutting off part of the service with no notice whatsoever is completely unacceptable.
I am trying to run a web site for a talking newspaper for blind people. I can't upload the latest issue so they will have to go without this Christmas unless something is sorted out soon. You don't stop me downloading a 550MB file from a web site, but I can't fetch a 20 byte file from an ftp site.
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: What's happened to FTP?

thats more likely due to the time of day and the package you are on  see http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm  note the speed is the max you will get at the time and unfortunately can be lower as PN treat downloads and non PN Ftp as being not time sensitive and they can be lower if a lot of gaming or VOIP take priority (See note at the bottom of that page)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Couple of things strike me as odd - Unlimited is better for FTP than Value also for PN to say it's not supported strikes me as absurd. Was that in a ticked or over the phone?
Are you trying to FTP to / from a non-PN site?
I didn't think that uploads were throttled as much as downloads so you should be able to upload OK, is this a recent problem or have you only just started using FTP for this site?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I didn't think there was any throttling of uploads on any protocol (sync speed is a lot less than download so no throttling is needed).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Sorry for the reply you've had previously, I've addressed that with the CSC managers as it wasn't acceptable.
On your product external FTP should work, albeit at a much reduced speed during peak hours. Take a look at the Broadband Plus expected maximum downstream speeds table on this page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_plus.shtml
I signed up for "up to 8Mbps unlimited"

You're on our Broadband Plus offering, which allows 4GB of peak time usage and 50GB off-peak. It was designed as an entry level product which is why some more advanced protocols are restricted on it.
With regards to uploading your newsletter and the original problem you had, what time of day were you trying to upload this? Have you tried doing it outside the heavily restricted times as per the table I've provided?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

comparing BB plus with value, yes for most downloads Value is better and you get 10G and not 4G, however the off peak time for the old products are from Midnight to 4 PM, the value is from Midnight to 8 Am  and the cost is a lot different  if you are in a market 3 area  £5.99 as against £14.67.
But as others have said the charts are for Downloads and in theory uploads should be OK