cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well done Plusnet!

bwthornton

Well done Plusnet!

I have just migrated to Plusnet from a high quality but high cost ISP that I've been with for three years, purely on financial grounds.  (I calculate that in two years I will save £250.)
Everything went like clockwork except for a slight hiccough when I couldn't get the new e-mail addresses to work. The young chap (UK-based from his accent) couldn't have been more helpful or more efficient and within minutes everything was sorted.
I must confess to having been a bit worried by some of the horror stories I read on this forum while I was waiting to be connected.
I know it's early days but, so far, I'm happy.
Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Well done Plusnet!

Welcome to PN and the forums Smiley  Any problems just ask.
Dom
Grafter

Just out of interest, what ISP were you with before? Smiley
Oh, and welcome to the forums!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Welcome, Sump Rat.  Smiley
I was with Claranet for a few years. Just over two years ago I realised I was paying silly money and jumped ship to PN, which has turned out to be a very good move.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Alxns
Grafter

You usually see the worst on the forums as if your happy with the service you most likely wont bothered coming on here to tell about it lol
i came from BT 3 months ago and its the best move i've ever made Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We're just a big family Smiley with the occasional unruly child who has to be brought into line Wink
Welcome aboard Sump Rat Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not all children either
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Alxns
You usually see the worst on the forums as if your happy with the service you most likely wont bothered coming on here to tell about it lol

That is true.
Just to add my comments about the service - have been with them for 5+ years now and the only time I've needed to contact support, I had a response and a resolved issue within 24 hours despite it going to Sheffield when they were under a rather large amount of wet stuff a couple of years back.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: pierre_pierre
not all children either

No Peter they just seem to act like children  Wink Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bwthornton

Quote from: Dom
Just out of interest, what ISP were you with before? Smiley

I was with Fast.co.uk (a brilliant, award-winning ISP with outstanding customer support - absolutely no queuing or listening to repetitive announcements/music) but I was paying £23 per month for Broadband alone (15GB limit) and never using more than 8GB. I cannot fault them and as they explained when I tried to negotiate a cheaper deal, 'We are at the quality end of service provision and don't try to compete with the big boys on price. With us you get what you pay for'.
With my three free months and allowing for the £25 set-up fee, the next 24 months with Plusnet will cost me 21x13+25 = £285 whereas staying with Fast would have cost me 24x23 = £552, a difference of £267.
So far I have noticed no difference in speed although at 1972kbps download and 229kbps upload it is nothing to write home about.  I live quite a distance from our exchange and we still have the old copper cabling so I doubt if anything can be done to improve matters.
Thanks for the kind welcomes.  I'm not much of a techie and some of the discussions here go right over my head. Embarrassed
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Welcome to the Forums Cheesy
I've just had a quick look at your speeds and everything seems in line on a 60dB (long!) line. You're provisioned on ADSL Max and your download is fine but your upload is a little low. Were you running any other programs at the time of the speed test?
bwthornton

Hi Ben,
I must confess to being impressed!
I may have been doing a test on the www.speedtester.bt.com site at the time. The results were: 1820kbps (IP profile 2000kbps; acceptable 400-2000; DSL rate 2496 downstream and 448 upstream)
As I said, I'm no techie so I'm not sure what all that means but I'm reassured  nevertheless.
I suppose these slow line speeds are a consequence of living on the 'Costa Geriatrica'  Wink
Thanks for your interest.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all Smiley