cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail

BeanCounter

Webmail

Thought I might as well add my thoughts on the above.
As a Plus Net Webmail user for about 3 years now, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by Squirrel Mail.
Squirrel Mail was forced on users after the previous application software was apparently attacked by loads of spam and viruses. Any saved emails were lost - Plus Net simply wiped everything clean without even asking!!.
Squirrel Mail has many other drawbacks, such as -
1.  you can't save a new email address by simply opening the new email and asking the application to save it.
2. it doesn't recognise the tab function 'cos it doesn't know that new paragraphs have indents.
3. If you highlight text and then delete it accidentally, you can't undo it.
4. If you can change text fonts, I'd to know how it's done.
5. it's as slow as treacle - that's the real reason for this gripe.
I can't work with something which is becoming so slow I could actually hand deliver it faster in some cases!! There's plenty of chat about the successor to Squirrel Mail but no action yet.
Remember the advert "It's just like a Golf".... well, how about "It works just like Microsoft Outlook".
WHEN will we get something worth paying for?
jim:orange All caps in title fixed as per forum rules mod:end
1 REPLY 1
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Webmail

Quote from: BeanCounter
Squirrel Mail was forced on users after the previous application software was apparently attacked by loads of spam and viruses. Any saved emails were lost - Plus Net simply wiped everything clean without even asking!!

Email in non-default folders would have been lost if you were using POP3 instead of IMAP to view your messages on the old platform. IIRC though, we were able to restore these messages on request? There's a bit more detail about the Webmail compromise here.
Admittedly SquirrelMail can struggle with folder navigation and is sometime slow to respond. We did have a replacement in the pipeline but that got put on the back burner and it yet to be picked up again. I've sent you a PM containing further information.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵