cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web portal changes not working

briston
Aspiring Pro

Web portal changes not working

Just tried, for a long while thinking I am an idiot, to create a new mail box. My new password keeps getting rejected. I checked many times that I am following the requirements i.e. my new password for my new mail box is 1 upper case letter, 6 lower case letters, 2 digits and 1 permitted symbol. It gets rejected every time. Finally went onto chat. I seems you are having problems, or so I was told, and to try again Monday. Why not flag this on the service status, or is that not working correctly either?

11 REPLIES 11
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Web portal changes not working

Hi @briston,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Have you tried clearing your cookies and cache, or using an alternative device or browser to do create the new password?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes. I first tried on my mobile phone and then on a Windows 10 computer. Both gave the same result. I have just tried it again, still does not work. You have to realise however that I was told there is a problem and try again on Monday on the chat line. Was that a way to get rid of me?
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @briston

Thanks for getting back in touch - have you been able to re-test this now that we're into Monday?

If this is still an issue, could you try a different password that doesn't contain any symbols just to see if this is throwing the mailbox creation tool off?

Thanks

Dave

briston
Aspiring Pro

Ok. Tried as you suggest and did not use a supposed acceptable symbol and it worked. However, I don't want this password. All that has happened is, it seems to confirm my original post. Web Portal changes not working. So are the symbols which have been advised as being allowed, not allowed? I would point out that I have used this symbol in another different password.
briston
Aspiring Pro

I forgot to mention, still my original choice did not work.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Having now created a mailbox with a password I do not want I thought I would try and change the password to the one I want. No luck, still get
Invalid password, read instructions below

Retype password:

Save changes Cancel
The password must be 8-16 characters long. This can be made up of letters (a-z) or (A-Z), numbers (0-9), and any of the following symbols: !#$%&()*+,-./:;>=<?@[]^_`{|}~.
briston
Aspiring Pro

The next experiment. I tried to change the password using the same letters and digits but changed the allowed symbol to a different allowed symbol. This time it worked. So now I have some passwords on Plusnet using a symbol which is listed as allowable and continue to work but when trying to create a new password using this symbol it gets rejected. I have also shown that the use of symbols is acceptable.
So why has a symbol, still listed as ok, now not acceptable for new passwords?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @briston 

I believe I've replicated the issue but just to confirm is the symbol you're trying to use the @ symbol?

If that's correct as far as I'm aware that's a forbidden character and I'll get that raised to our digital team to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes it is the @ symbol however I would point out that the @ symbol is part of another login with Plusnet which I use.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the confirmation @briston

It's raised with our digital team and as soon as I know more I'll let you know

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What I suspect is happening here are - the measures implemented recently to ensure special characters not accepted by the rebadged BT surplus stock routers cannot now be used in an account password - have also been applied to email passwords. Having a single password validation function makes a lot of sense, however if the theory is correct then it’s clear someone forgot to update the email password help information!!!

Pre-existing passwords using those characters will still work, but new ones cannot now be created. Looks like the common replacement of “@“ for “a” is now inhibited.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.