cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was good but will be going

BrianHomer

Was good but will be going

I used to think PN was the tops but over the years the price stayed high and the speed seemed to drift down plus the real speed of access to some services including into my office remotely was very very poor. I have almost given up logging into my office database as reaction times were like dial up. ON PN I am getting 1.5 meg down and less than 300kps down. I've just installed O2 Broadband on a separate BT line and immediately have got nealy 6 megs down and over 700kps up with identical distances to the exchange. My remote log in is now usable at a speed increase which seems more than the difference in performance so I suspect that PN has been throttling access to services.
Needless to say I will be switching off PN as soon as I can organise to save email.
PN has become rather unimpressive value though unlike others I have always found Customer Service very good - it's just the speed that did it for me.
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Was good but will be going

Well I'm sorry you seem to have had problems, just to point out that no two lines to an exchange are necessarily identical and it is quite possible that you have a line fault on the line with the PN service.
It is also possible that your O2 service is ADSL2+ which will give faster speed depending on your distance from the exchange. ADSL2+ is something that PN are able to provide now if your exchange has been enabled. However, if there is a line fault, something which is not of PN's making or directly under their control, you will not see the problems go away until such a fault is fixed. Nor will you see a change moving that line to another ISP, your line goes with you.
Mand
Grafter

Hi Brian,
As anotherone has said, two lines next to each other aren't necessarily comparable.
If you'd like to, I'd be happy to investigate your speed issues on the Plusnet line for you?
xpcomputers
Grafter

If you are looking to only have the new broadband line ultimately, and are just staying with Plusnet until you sort out your email, it might be worth asking if you can cease the broadband and keep your email account...
I know you used to be able to do this, with your Plusnet account effectively becoming a free "dialup" account. This would keep your email accounts live and access to the control panel to be able to migrate them in your own time.
However, I believe such accounts are officially no longer available, so not sure if this is still possible...
Can anyone confirm?
Mike
xpcomputers
Grafter

But also, I would say that Plusnet are excellent, so if your line is connecting much slower than one next to it, then this is very unlikely to have anything to do with Plusnet themselves, and everything to with the characteristics of that line. Unfortunately that same line is always likely to perform at a similar slow speed (on an account provided by any ISP using BT Wholesale), until the problem was found and resolved.
This could be caused by something at the exchange with your line card; any point on the line between the exchange and you; or even the quality of the internal wiring at your premises.
If you are thinking of cancelling with Plusnet, with a view to getting the line re-provisioned with another supplier, I would suggest sticking with Plusnet to do that.
I hope you get what you need.
Mike