cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning!

redcar39
Dabbler

Warning!

To anybody that is considering joining Plusnet, don't! After having had a broadband issue open for over 2 months a BT engineer was sent out on their behalf to check the line on site. The engineer ran some tests, found a fault outside in the neighbour's garden which he fixed. He then re-wired our internal cabling and re-located the main socket, something we hadn't asked for but after it had been done figured was a good thing. That was a mistake...
The next day the internal wiring is down and the only way to connect the phone and the router is to use the test socket (the one under the face plate of the main socket). Ok, no problems we thought, they'd just have to come back and fix what they broke while rewiring. Now after 2 weeks of calls and updates on the ticket the answer is: "Sorry, neither we nor BT accept responsibility for the internal wiring and you'll have to pay £150 for a BT engineer to sort things out" !!! Assuming that they were joking but no, that's the stand they take after having destroyed a perfectly working internal wiring!
That plus the fact that the broad band issue still remains unsolved after over 2 months and has been blamed on everything from routers, hardware, phone lines but in fact is likely to be Plusnet's own traffic management system are reasons enough to avoid this company completely.
/Harold
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to a more appropriate board.]
10 REPLIES 10
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Warning!

Not taking sides but if BT worked on your internal wiring rendering it unusable then surely the problem lies fairly and squarely with BT What are they doing about it?
How did you manage to ascertain that its PN's traffic management if BT found a fault in your neighbours and things got worse since?
Very Curious.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have a look at this for you, it sounds a little complicated so might take a while but I'll get back to you as soon as I have some answers.
OK, this seems a little complicated with a number of different issues present, so I'd like to clarify a couple of things if that's OK?
1. You stated on the ticket that 'The engineer switched the location of the main socket'. Does this mean he physically removed a socket from the wall, re-attached it somewhere else and cabled it in?
2. We rolled out a fix for Battlefield Bad Company 2 latency on the 6th, as per my post here. Have you re-booted your router and retested your pings since then?
Without wanting to shirk any responsibility here, we do have a fixed process for dealing with damage done by BT Openreach engineers, and this is via the number that was given to you - 0800 671130. This is a direct line to BT Openreach's complaints department who are the right people to address this issue for you. Whilst we accept that we requested the engineer goes out, we cannot raise a complaint on your behalf to them. We could possibly raise an escalation with BT Wholesale which would then be passed to BT Openreach but this will take much longer and have a much slimmer chance of a successful resolution than you going directly to BT Openreach's complaints team. However, I am more than happy to chase this router for you if, you wish.
redcar39
Dabbler

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Not taking sides but if BT worked on your internal wiring rendering it unusable then surely the problem lies fairly and squarely with BT What are they doing about it?
How did you manage to ascertain that its PN's traffic management if BT found a fault in your neighbours and things got worse since?
Very Curious.

The engineer was sent out by Plusnet. I have no contract with BT and plusnet lease BT's lines to provide the service. Plusnet are also owned by BT just FYI.
Why I still think it's a traffic management issue is simply a qualified guess after everything else has been ruled out. That issue didn't get worse after the engineer found and fixed the fault. It didn't change it at all. I've tested my hardware, switched routers, switched packages and tried my computer elsewhere and the problem only occurs at my home on a line which has no fault.
redcar39
Dabbler

Quote from: Ben
1. You stated on the ticket that 'The engineer switched the location of the main socket'. Does this mean he physically removed a socket from the wall, re-attached it somewhere else and cabled it in?
2. We rolled out a fix for Battlefield Bad Company 2 latency on the 6th, as per my post here. Have you re-booted your router and retested your pings since then?
Without wanting to shirk any responsibility here, we do have a fixed process for dealing with damage done by BT Openreach engineers, and this is via the number that was given to you - 0800 671130. This is a direct line to BT Openreach's complaints department who are the right people to address this issue for you. Whilst we accept that we requested the engineer goes out, we cannot raise a complaint on your behalf to them. We could possibly raise an escalation with BT Wholesale which would then be passed to BT Openreach but this will take much longer and have a much slimmer chance of a successful resolution than you going directly to BT Openreach's complaints team. However, I am more than happy to chase this router for you if, you wish.

1. Yes he physically removed the main socket from where it was located in the hallway, leaving a fairly ugly mess in its place, rewired and put the main socket nearer the front door. While I have no complaints about him doing so in principle it was nothing we asked or were consulted about beforehand. And I think it's fair to say that we have the right to expect that in doing so he wouldn't destroy what was in place and working!
2. The attempts to solve the latency issue has had ZERO effect. Still the same issue and I've got a wireshark capture from this Monday which for some reason couldn't be uploaded to the issue that has been logged.
3. Yes a number to BT has been given to us but I find it very strange that an issue that was a direct result from an action ordered by yourselves is now put in our hands to chase up. I have no contract with BT and haven't ordered anything from them. I am a Plusnet customer, at least for the time being, and don't appreciate having to do your work for you.
Thanks for looking into the issue tho and if you require any more information feel free to contact me.
easyhostmedia

its typical of plusnet, when a customer has any issue, they just tell you to contact BT, but all BT say is nothing to do with them as you are not a BT customer but a Plusnet customer.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: redcar39

3. Yes a number to BT has been given to us but I find it very strange that an issue that was a direct result from an action ordered by yourselves is now put in our hands to chase up. I have no contract with BT and haven't ordered anything from them. I am a Plusnet customer, at least for the time being, and don't appreciate having to do your work for you.

So you want PN to say:
"Our customer reckons your engineer bodged up the job - we have no proof as we are not on site; however please go and fix it"
I'm not really sure who's responsibility the line is - PN are only contracted to "provide a BB service where possible" if I recall correctly.
Assuming your telephone service is not from PN; should the telco provider cut you off for whatever reason; it is likely your BB service will stop.  PN will be powerless to do anything about it.
PN are only providing a service over an existing connection to your house.  Take it up with the line provider.
redcar39
Dabbler

Quote from: geofftswin
So you want PN to say:
"Our customer reckons your engineer bodged up the job - we have no proof as we are not on site; however please go and fix it"
I'm not really sure who's responsibility the line is - PN are only contracted to "provide a BB service where possible" if I recall correctly.
Assuming your telephone service is not from PN; should the telco provider cut you off for whatever reason; it is likely your BB service will stop.  PN will be powerless to do anything about it.
PN are only providing a service over an existing connection to your house.  Take it up with the line provider.

No, we don't reckon anything. We had a working internal wiring until a BT engineer was sent out at Plusnet's request. He decided to rewire and relocate the main socket and now no sockets are working except for the test socket. Anyway, BT just replied that it's Plusnet's responsibility and finally PN has agreed to order another engineer out to fix whatever the first one caused.
Why are you assuming the telephone service is not from PN when I've clearly stated that I've got no contract with BT at all?!? Plusnet is my line provider. I assume you're getting paid by Plusnet to redirect attention from them but you're not making much sense.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only ones who work for PN are the ones with PN staff and the PN symbol under  their name
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: redcar39
Why are you assuming the telephone service is not from PN when I've clearly stated that I've got no contract with BT at all?!? Plusnet is my line provider. I assume you're getting paid by Plusnet to redirect attention from them but you're not making much sense.

Easy assumption to make - you had a broadband issue.  No mention of your telephone provider.  You at no point were talking about your phone line. You were at all times talking about your Broadband service.
There is no need to be downright rude when people try to view their opinions and throw another situation in to make sure that you are looking at things constructively.  The number of people who simply rant on here is unbelievable.  Constructive posts are much more conducive to getting a solution.  Why do you think I'm being paid by my ISP?  There was nothing in my post to give that impression.
Clearly you just want to rant & don't give a flying fig about resolving your issue.  May I suggest that in future you simply keep your raving to the official support site?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

redcar39,
I can see your wireshark results so I will make sure that these are reviewed ASAP.
With regards to dealing with the after-effects of the engineer visit that you first posted about on 17/8/10 I would like to extend our our apologies first of all regarding this especially as I don't believe we displayed an adequate sense of empathy, urgency or understanding when you first broached this with us. All this will be fed back to the staff that have dealt with you on this side.
Moving forwards we do have an engineer appointment booked in for tomorrow which I believe that you are now aware of, this is not at any cost to yourself and we hope that this will result in any issues with your extensions or cabling being fixed appropriately.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team