Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING - Spam/Phishing emails.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

WARNING - Spam/Phishing emails.

I imagine most people will pick up on this straight away but just in case. I just got an email which at first glance looked like the standard Plusnet Community Mailer notification of a forum post reply. Format was right and most of the links but it isn't genuine. Reducing the email to plain text shows a very odd first line which doesn't display in the email message itself:-

"longedge, there's something going on in hi today"

The body has several references to "Alice" with email links. I've deleted it but someone's found a way to contact PlusNet customers with spoofed email so just a 'heads up'

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: WARNING - Spam/Phishing emails.

There was a post made earlier today with that content which has obviously been deleted now as it was spam.

Have you subscribed to any forums to be notified of new posts?
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Ah... I've started two other threads in the last few days but I don't come here a lot otherwise. I just thought, worth mentioning.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you check your Private Messages (link at the bottom of this page) you might find you really do have a friendly, albeit unwanted, private message from that sender. I expect that registration will now have been blocked.

David
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Correct David.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @longedge,

I reported this particular user and mods have issued a ban. Unfortunately this user was able to send some PMs before being banned so we also got a few users report the PM too. I have spoken with moderators about having some extra steps included in the ban process to alleviate this type of behaviour in the future.

We have dealt with this user now and they shouldn't be bothering anyone again.

If anyone spots spammy content that got through the spam filters, please report as soon as you see it. We put the user through a few checks and if they fail those they get banned pretty quickly.

Also, if anyone received a PM and a notification email from this user, please delete the email and messages. Mods are not able to access private inboxes on the community to delete these.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this user. At least they have given me more information about how to secure the community and its users privacy further.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

PM's checked - all clear, obviously didn't have time to get around to me in view of  timely action taken to block Smiley

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

I too have had this personal message from "Alice" today. I reported it to mods and deleted message. first spam I have ever had on this community.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

And this thread is one of the reasons why I've elected to switch off the PM facility on these forums Sad

I've had similar experiences in the past on another site via PM, I know it's not the fault of the website owner as a determined spammer goes to many lengths in trying to sell their wares.

Also, I'm not one to defend any ISP forum, but

We have dealt with this user now and they shouldn't be bothering anyone again.

is great to hear, a good Knuppel for these annoying spam senders never does any harm! imo Wink

The main reason for posting, for the benefit of future readers that may not be as savvy as others, is to never click on any link whether it's on a forum, a website or sent via email unless you're sure where it's going to take you where it says it's going.

Hovering over the link (without clicking), or right click (via a mouse) -> copy link location -> paste in to notepad is one of many methods on checking.