cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dramatically better upload speed with using Non Vectoring Modem Code of 548006

GrottoTree
Grafter

Dramatically better upload speed with using Non Vectoring Modem Code of 548006

Just thought I would share will you all that I have obtained a massive improvement in my upstream sync speed between my Draytek Vigor 2860 router and the DSLAM in the street cabinet by updating it to a non vectoring firmware version.

Essentially I upgraded the firmware of my router using the built in download tool rather than downloading it from Drayteks UK website (Thus getting firmware version 3.8.4.3_STD rather than 3.8.4.3_BT) , and noticed my upstream sync speed has increased from 6789Kbps to 12200Kbps.

Updated to the 3.8.4.3_BT firmware version to double check and sure enough my upstream sync speed drooped back to around 6700Kbps. With the 3.8.4.3_STD firmware I now currentley have a upstream sync speed of 13352Kbps.

Full details on my adventure can be found here: http://www.elliottstechshow.com/Draytek-Firmware-Upload-Speed-Improvment.html

Regards: Elliott.

2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Dramatically better upload speed with using Non Vectoring Modem Code of 548006

It's probably nothing to do with the modem firmware's support for vectoring or lack thereof. 5.4.8.0.0.6 is a substantially older version, which does not support upstream retransmission, although that won't be supported on ECI cabinets anyway. It's so old that it might not even work properly when downstream retransmission gets enabled again.

If your increased upstream speed is due to your modem not supporting or enabling UPBO (Upstream Power Back Off), then you may be adversely affecting other people's upstream speeds, especially those on longer lines that yours.

GrottoTree
Grafter

Re: Dramatically better upload speed with using Non Vectoring Modem Code of 548006

Seems odd that a older modem code of "5.4.8.0.0.6" would give a better speed. My speed is more inline with what i had back in 2013. Also never heard of UPBO, and not sure why I would want it enabled if it gives a better speed with it turned off.