cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP and Fax-2-Email Closure

amcclean
Rising Star

VoIP and Fax-2-Email Closure

I use my voip  and received an email about an hour ago saying the service is closing and that if I wish out avoid paying transfer charges for porting my number I should stay with gradwell.
My question is if Gradwell cannot provide a similar  payg service which I have using with pn  why should I be charged to take my number elsewhere when it is not my choice  to move but that of pn to withdraw the service.
Podman
115 REPLIES 115
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: voip closing charges

So is it just the PAYG service that's closing or are PN withdrawing all the voip service ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amcclean
Rising Star

VOIP and Broadband Phone platform to be switched off at the end of August. Users have to either advise they wish to move to Gradwell or it seams pay up to take their number to a new provider.
I can't see any package with Gradwell that works as PAYG so it looks like I will be forced to pay not really happy if this is the case. Had the number for years.
I tried to copy and paste the text but i couldn't highlight it to copy.
podman
amcclean
Rising Star

Pc was bring slow with high lighting here we go:
Hello******,
We have some important news to share with you about your Broadband Phone VoIP account.
From 26th August 2015, Plusnet will cease providing VoIP services and our Broadband Phone platform will be switched off. This means you will no longer be able to make and receive calls using your account.
Please don't worry, if you would like to retain your Broadband Phone service and carry on making calls, continue reading and we'll explain what you need to do.
Does this affect me?
Only if you use Plusnet's Broadband Phone service. Broadband Phone is a Voice over IP (VoIP) service that allows you to make cheap or free phone calls using your Internet connection. You can find out more about it here.
Your home phone and broadband service is not affected by this announcement.
Can I carry on using the service?
Yes, you can continue using the service by requesting your account is migrated directly to our trusted supplier - Gradwell Communications.
We have worked with Gradwell for many years to deliver our Broadband Phone service, so by transferring your account to them, you are ensuring that you continue to receive the high quality of service you have come to expect.
You will also avoid any service interruptions, retain your existing number and avoid any costly number transfer charges.
To discuss pricing and available offers, please register your interest using the web form here , and one of Gradwell's UK-based representatives will be in touch to chat to you about your requirements and answer any questions you may have.
What happens next?
You will still be able to use the service up until 26th August 2015. To retain the service beyond this point, you should arrange contact with Gradwell no later than 31st July 2015. This ensures that your account is transferred easily and seamlessly before the service cut-off date.
We'll send another reminder in a few weeks' time; however, if you have any further questions then please take a look at the FAQs we have published here.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I got the same email. The cheapest I could see at Gradwell was £4/month, not worth it for me.
amcclean
Rising Star

It looks like there is not charge necessarily to take your number but some provider charge to IMPORT it and according to PN you could be without it for up to 10 days.
Sadly I think I may be scunnered and have to take the gradwell move as I have cards printer with the number on.
I hope PN have may an agreement that allows a cheap and cheerful move.
I trust we will not be forced to pay and inital fee or take their hardware as the prices for that alone make it cheaper for me to order a new landline.
SUMMARY
Telephone Package £4.00 / Month
Minutes £0.00 / month
Hardware £59.95 one-off
Initial payment £113.95
Monthly thereafter £4.00 / month
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So far I haven't received any email. I will not be happy if the VoIP service is discontinued. As far as I'm concerned I have 120 mins/month as part of my contract!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Got the same email, it's all going.
Set up a free second number with sip gate.
I'm gutted about the change and don't want to lose the number but £4 a month for incoming calls isn't worth it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I"m not concerned about my number, I don't get incoming calls. I use my 120 mins for daytime calls. That's worth £2/month to me. How do Plusnet propose to compensate me for that loss ?

dvorak

are you still on the old premier type package that used to include it?
I guess for those of us that have moved it's tough as it'll be said those perks carried across as goodwill and not part of the package / contract.
Customer / Moderator
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: MisterW
. I use my 120 mins for daytime calls. That's worth £2/month to me. How do Plusnet propose to compensate me for that loss ?

Broadband Talk T&C's
Use of the Service
9.  The Service is intended for sending and receiving voice transmissions over the Internet. Customers understand that:
      1. The service is not intended as a like-for-like replacement for PSTN telephone services.
      2. Customers must retain a PSTN telephone line in order to use the Service.
10. Plusnet makes no guarantees as to the availability or functionality of the Service.
dvorak

I wouldn't say that covers removal of the service, just the on/offline nature of it.
Customer / Moderator
bobboulby
Grafter

This is bad news. I have 240 free minutes and use these for all my outgoing calls. The Broadband Phone service was originally provided as a no cost add-on to my broadband package so any charge at all would leave me worse off.
Bob.
dvorak

it was certainly one of the (few) things that kept my custom.
Customer / Moderator
amcclean
Rising Star

can it really take 10 days without the number working for it to move? Should it not be instant.