Did you mean: 

VoIP and Fax-2-Email Closure

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: VoIP and Fax-2-Email Closure

Morning all,
Reminder that today's the day we'll be switching both of these services off. I'll update this post once I've had confirmation this has been done...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Bob
... today's the day we'll be switching both of these services off. I'll update this post once I've had confirmation this has been done...

As my PN VoIP service was still working this morning I assumed that it would probably be working until midnight!  Is that not the case then Bob?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nope, I anticipate things will be switched off early/mid afternoon, with SIP registrations expiring within an hour of that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Mine has de-registered. It switched off at about 1pm, I believe.
Annie
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can confirm that all accounts have been disabled now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Another one bites the dust!  Sad
Technically superior and differentiated PlusNET rest in peace - you will be sadly missed!
PlusNET has dropped so many components on the basis that it's not what everyone is looking for and to save money it's dropping such services.  Well many of us do not want 'free' sports TV, so please drop that forthwith and save vastly more money.
Is there any possibility of someone sending out a search and rescue party into those Yorkshire hills as clearly the plot is lost!
Cry

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Townman
...  Well many of us do not want 'free' sports TV, so please drop that forthwith and save vastly more money.

+1
Probably the vast majority of us.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: RobPN
...  Well many of us do not want 'free' sports TV, so please drop that forthwith and save vastly more money.

+1

+ 2
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: RobPN

+1

I agree and the result of the policy is all ISPs will be the same, dreary mediocrity.  However, it takes courage for a Board to steer their own course and not simply be led by Marketing.  It is what grew PlusNet so well in it's pre-BT days.
The most damaging Department to current business practice is Marketing, so clearly reflected in the poor performance of many major enterprises.  Closely followed by the excessive influence of Human Resources.
I suppose the influence of BT has finally eliminated the creative PlusNet and managers will not be encouraged to think outside defined boundaries and, indeed maybe fearful of doing so.
Regards....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well many of us do not want 'free' sports TV, so please drop that forthwith and save vastly more money.

Whilst we appreciate the feedback, I have to step in and say that this is a bit out of context really. Sports TV (a product adopted by thousands, despite being in its infancy) is hardly comparable to our VoIP offering - which was used increasingly sparingly by just a few hundred people.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bob,
Whilst I understand the position that things like VoIP were adopted by only a few in comparison to TV, PlusNET was well ahead of the technology curve with such facilities.  VoIP was not widely understood at the time, only after PN ceased allowing users to adopt the service did I really understand what it offered.  In comparison sports TV has a low understanding threshold for uptake indeed by definition it has to!
The point being made here is that a service which has not been promoted has been canned on the basis that the demand does not warrant the cost of provision.  Instead we are all paying for sports TV, want it or not.  Through that PlusNET has become more like the rest of ISPs rather than the technically advance differentiated ISP it used to be.
I do wonder if VoIP had been as well promoted and understood as sports TV, how different its uptake might have been.?  One influencing factor is that TVs have been around much longer than VoIP handsets.
Whatever, the deed is done, the PlusNET of distinction is dead, long live mediocrity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.