cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utter failure

RandomUsername9
Dabbler

Re: Utter failure

So I have confirmed with Complaints that I have Fibre, the test they run doesn't work unless you're on Fibre.  That's how badly it's running, when it isn't falling over.  I have a new router, we'll see how that and the engineer visit affect things.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RandomUsername9 wrote:

So I have confirmed with Complaints that I have Fibre, ...

@RandomUsername9 

You should be able to see what product and contract you're on if you check these locations on the PN Portal (you'll need to log in using your PN credentials);

https://www.plus.net/member-centre/home

https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary

RandomUsername9
Dabbler

It just says Unlimited and that I can't change it right now.  Not particularly helpful.

"You can't change your products for the moment, our system may be updating. Please try again later."

I'm inclined to get the engineer to check what they can see rather than believe obscure messages on the site or what people tell me.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RandomUsername9 wrote:

It just says Unlimited and that I can't change it right now.  Not particularly helpful.

@RandomUsername9 

(my bold)

I don't normally look at the PN products pages as I've no need, but having just had a quick peek at them, I can see that the ADSL offering is described as 'Unlimited Broadband' and the two FTTC products I could see were described as Unlimited Fibre' and 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' (i.e. both contain the word 'Fibre'), so as that word is missing from your account details ISTM that that is confirmation you're on ADSL.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

A question I’d ask is what are your sync speeds and also the modulation? Find out through the troubleshooting tab of the Hub One. That’ll tell you if you’re provisioned on fibre and/or there’s an error with your account. 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@RobPN wrote:

(my bold)

I don't normally look at the PN products pages as I've no need, but having just had a quick peek at them, I can see that the ADSL offering is described as 'Unlimited Broadband' and the two FTTC products I could see were described as Unlimited Fibre' and 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' (i.e. both contain the word 'Fibre'), so as that word is missing from your account details ISTM that that is confirmation you're on ADSL.

I recall this potential issue being discussed back in history when confusion would arise with newer agents ( and customers!) getting confused at various points in the journey.  And so it came to pass.  A regular feature on the forums.  Hopefully it's on a very long list of "things to be reviewed - mañana".

It needs one of the more experienced support guys to help get to the bottom of this fowl up .
@MisterW   Has already escalated this on the SU boards, so it shouldn't  be long?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Thrall wrote:

A question I’d ask is what are your sync speeds and also the modulation? Find out through the troubleshooting tab of the Hub One. That’ll tell you if you’re provisioned on fibre and/or there’s an error with your account. 

See earlier discussions, the supplied router is a 2704N

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

In that case it’d be the helpdesk tab of the 2704n. As the router works though with the Openreach modem that suggests the OP is on fibre. 

It’d be interesting to see the sync speeds and the ‘current line speed’ on the broadband tab of the account. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Thrall  The account broadband tab won't be any help because it doesn't show any actual measured speeds just estimates and the Current line speed which is not a speed but the Plusnet profile which can throttle customers on a Static IP address.

Edit: The OP is also not believing anything that people tell him, I think that includes forum members.🙄

RandomUsername9
Dabbler

A child dressed as a BT engineer arrived (I'm getting old) and after observing the line outside, which might have been chewed by a mouse from the look of it, replaced that and the socket.  I'm now on 14/5, a slight improvement.  The engineer said the line still seemed slow but they left to 'look at the cabinet' and vanished.

The account says Unlimited, not Unlimited Fibre.  I'm told that could be what I'm paying for, not what I have but they're checking as it would explain things.

Some info:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 30.1 / 19.5
10. Signal attenuation: 31.7 / 15.9

23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

What are your sync speeds? It’ll show as data rate on the helpdesk tab. Also checking the current line speed will make sure that’s set correctly.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Hub1 G993.2 Annex B? Does that not point to VDSL?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

It does.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

With a downstream attenuation of 30db a speed in the 14 to 15Mb range is about right according to this calculator

https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

RandomUsername9
Dabbler

It's the line which is broken then.  Strange that BT were ready to guarantee better.  Perhaps it is time to get them to back that up.