Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utter failure

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Utter failure

As @MisterW says, you are getting as near as possible the expected speeds, so the line isn't broken.

John
RandomUsername9
Dabbler

Let's call it "failing to do its job properly" then, to me that's the same thing.  I don't want excuses.  I was told something quite different before I handed over money.  What I'm getting is unacceptable and I'm going to keep trying.

jab1
Legend

It is obvious you don't want to listen to what you are told by experienced users, but would rather chase an impossible dream - your choice.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The BT speed estimates will be based solely on estimated line length. In the past, BT used aluminium instead of copper for some cabling. If any exists in your line then it will affect the speed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandomUsername9
Dabbler

Ah, the internet.  It brings out the best in humans.

jab1
Legend

We do try to help, but if you don't want to listen...

John
RandomUsername9
Dabbler

You see, the internet effect.  It degrades debate.

You have helped.  I know a lot of useful things now.  If you want to be the sort of person who gives in and accepts shoddy service that's your choice but I'm going to carry on trying to improve my lot.  The first step will probably be changing my ISP.

Thanks and goodnight.

jab1
Legend

Changing ISP won't change your connection or speeds - same cables.

John
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

You will certainly not remove the rose tinting from the glasses of the PN fanclub Mr Random.

Changing ISP to one which gives a damn most definitely improved my service. Same cables, same cabinet, same exchange etc.. The only thing that changed was the level customer service! Oh, my speeds too, better and more stable.

jab1
Legend

@newagetraveller I am decidedly not a member of the 'PN fanclub' as you call it - in fact I am moving elsewhere due to the appalling service levels and 'BTification' of a once excellent provider - I have called out the appalling issues encountered on more than one occasion, but like others on here who have a modicum of technical knowledge, I try to help where possible.

The problem we encounter though is those we try to help not helping us to help them, or not listening to\ignoring what they are told.

John
RandomUsername9
Dabbler

In case someone finds this looking for an answer, I hate posts which never show the outcome or just say "I fixed it" without explaining.  I kept at it and eventually a series of engineers tracked down a faulty wire which they replaced and my 14/5Mbps is up to 40/9.5Mbps.  On the whole a fault which causes very bad performance will also be responsible for failures but the proof is in the pudding so we'll see.  For me the moral is to not give up and keep on at people until you get a solution you like.  I have to credit PlusNet though, while the main Customer Services dept. leaves a great deal to be desired in that they are essentially 'ticket-closers' as I call them, the Complaints people have really taken responsibility for getting it sorted out and stayed with me to what looks like a satisfactory outcome. 🤞