Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update marketing preferences

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Update marketing preferences

@JonoH 

As I said above in post #2, I am also getting this every time I log into the member centre despite updating my preferences at least three times in the last month and getting emails acknowledging I have done so with matching closed tickets on my account. Hopefully you can stop this minor irritation.Thanks.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@DS wrote:

so they want to send you emails based on your browsing/viewing/call history. I'm starting to understand this better now.

To clarify, we're not emailing you based off of what websites you visit, whom you call and that kind of thing. 

I wonder if these banners are coming from Plusnet or from one of their third party marketing partners (I've not checked this, but assume they do have partners for this type of stuff).

They're ours.

I guess it isn't classed as a service restricting issue and thus they won't jump on this any time soon, but you'd have thought that they would have at least acknowledged this issue.

This was the first our development team had heard of the issue, but, as they're doing something in that space shortly they're hoping to pick it up in that release (if you're already fiddling with it you might as well fix it whilst you're there).

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
DS
Seasoned Champion

To clarify, we're not emailing you based off of what websites you visit, whom you call and that kind of thing. 

Thanks for clarifying Jono Smiley

I misunderstood what was written here

We use the following for marketing and to identify the products and services you're interested in.

• Your contact details. This includes your name, gender, address, phone number, date of birth and email address.

• Your payment and financial information.

• Information from cookies and tags placed on your connected devices.

• Information from other organisations such as aggregated demographic data, data brokers (such as Acxiom and Edit), our partners and publicly available sources like the electoral roll and business directories.

• Details of the products and services you've bought and how you use themincluding your call, browser(including IP address) and TV records.

I read it that for marketing, you do all of the above. Maybe there should be one for marketing and one for identifying us?

They're ours.

Great!:) Make them a bit smaller then..... (so small we can't see them!Evil)

This was the first our development team had heard of the issue, but, as they're doing something in that space shortly they're hoping to pick it up in that release (if you're already fiddling with it you might as well fix it whilst you're there).

Oopsie. I thought that when the member centre was taken down on the previous 2 occasions (yes I was online during both), possibly to include the extra tab (refer a friend) on the account, or for the pop up surveys if you use Edge browser, your dev' team would have seen the same blue banners and observed their length during the intensive testing, plus that these blue banners were not going away Wink

Oooh, what shall we see instead, or will they also be there (but smaller) to divert our thoughts as to why we logged into the account in the first place Azn

(reminds me of the time when I was with BT and used BTMail (powered by Yahsnoop) and had an advert for a rival TV platform (Now TV) when I went to check my BT TV email notification. When I pointed that out BT were PDQ to have that fixed!!)

JonoH
Hero

We don't use the vast majority of the things that it says we do, we have no sight at all how you use TV for example, I'm already having those words re-written. I don't even know why we've asked for permission to use things we don't possess the technology to collect.  I think it was a simple copy and paste from BT's terms.

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks again Jono:). You never get this sort of input from BT.

I'm guessing either BT do have the tech for their customers, or they also do not have the ability yet.

I hope you get this all revised as it would certainly save a lot of confusion.

(maybe even consider having a tick box on the options that the account holder wishes to have those preferences set for life, rather than every 6 months - assuming they stick with the products and services they currently have)

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@JonoH wrote:

...I'm already having those words re-written. I don't even know why we've asked for permission to use things we don't possess the technology to collect... 

It's like Facebook - write huge "privacy policies" so that you get people to agree to virtually anything because they haven't the patience to plough through reams of stuff, just to get a broadband connection.

That way, Plusnet can claim that they have everyone's permission to do some massive analysis of personal information.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

JonoH
Hero

@DS wrote:

I hope you get this all revised as it would certainly save a lot of confusion.

That's already been started, getting it past the legal eagles will take time though Smiley 

(maybe even consider having a tick box on the options that the account holder wishes to have those preferences set for life, rather than every 6 months - assuming they stick with the products and services they currently have)

It already does set for life, it just tells you you haven't updated them in 6 months in case you've changed your mind, you should then see the notification once, and then not again for 6 months. 

Jono H
DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, the legal eagles.... nah, more like the drunken dodo's Wink

So, take it down until it's fixed? Roll_eyes

(I'm sure John is hovering (not him personally) over the fix button)

Then have it like the forum popup toaster, pops up for a short time and then goes away, rather than having to do something with it - just a thought Wink

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@DS I assure you I ain't 'hovering' over the fix button - I need to be going elsewhere in the next twenty years. Grin

Rest assured, though, I will be keeping a beady eye on the progress (or not!)

John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Discovered that my Firefox plugin - "uBlock origin" can block selected elements with customised filters:-

! 21/05/2019 https://www.plus.net
||www.plus.net/images/banners/btsport/btsport-simo-wlandscape.png$image
www.plus.net##div.u-alert--info.u-alert.pnState:nth-of-type(1)
www.plus.net##.mcdashboard__banner--bt.mcdashboard__banner.pnState
www.plus.net##.mcdashboard__banner--sim.mcdashboard__banner.pnState

These block:-

• The advert for btsport on my webspace info page.
  • The marketing preferences thing.
  • The advert on the dashboard for more btsport
  • The advert for a sim card on the dashboard.

I've retained the ugly great banner for open tickets.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend

@JonoH Any progress on this? First reported over two months ago!

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I've never been bothered by these blue banners, mainly I suppose because I don't really have any need to check bills.... don't use the landline. I get a nice simple email, once a month, that says how much the bill is and that is it. As to preferences, once set. always that way. But again, can't say I've ever seen a banner saying "Oi! Update them". Why are some people so lucky? Grin  But then I do have a fair number of blocks in place for peace while browsing..............

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Legend

@idonno It doesn't particularly bother me that those banners exist, although I do visit my account once a month and download my bill - you never know when you might need evidence Wink

The only reason I raised the issue, and continue to pursue it, is because it is an easy problem to fix, and IMHO should take an organisation such as PN less than a week - definitely not the extended period it is doing.

John
JonoH
Hero

Its super low priority @jab1 because we're currently asking for more than we're using. I've seen the new wording it looks loads better... we're just waiting for it to make a release.

Jono H
jgb
Champion

@JonoH 

As @jab1 Asks - what about these pesky banners that are still appearing? or will that be sorted when and if the new wording is released?