cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreasonable phone charges

juliasdream
Grafter

Unreasonable phone charges

I had no idea that the free calling period had moved from 6pm to 7pm. I never received any emails to warn me of this.
I made numerous callsbetween Jan 1st and last night all just after 6pm at a total cost of £13+
Thats over £13 costs that I could have avoided.
I complained to plusnet, unaware at the time of the changes that had been made and said I'd received no email about it. If I had done I wouldn't have made the calls when I did
I still have all plusnets emails in a folder but none about the change.
Plusnet weren't listening
I have been with Plusnet for 4 years now and a few years before then at my previous address when they were Metronet.
I have found them a very good company and have recommended them highly to many with a large amount of successful referrals
I am now very disappointed with them for being so hard on me with their take it or leave it attitude
It was near to being suggested that I made it up that I didn't get any email about changes
Why else would I have made all those calls just after 6pm if I already knew I was supposed to wait till 7pm. It's not something I'd do for the fun of having something to complain about.
We went on to argue the toss about the reliability of emails. Me saying that important changes should be sent by post or by emails that require acknowledgement but nothing I would say got through. I felt like I were talking to a brick wall
Plusnet had just about the same amount of understanding as a brick wall too.
This is my second run in with Plusnet.
Not long ago I was hugely overcharged by £47.67 for accepting a reverse charge call of no more than 3 minutes
Well Plusnet did meet me half way on that one but I dont think such a charge was fair coming out of the blue like that. There should be some indication made at the first point of contact to warn one of such extortionate charges
Anyway thats not my current gripe.
I'm upset about my unexpected £13+ charge
I think I deserve a better treatment than to be stonewalled as I was

6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Unreasonable phone charges

it was in an e-mail on about 2nd December, you will also find a copy in your questions section of all e-maols sent to you
Important information about your Plusnet service.
We're writing to remind you that the government is increasing VAT to 20% from 4th January 2011. Back in March we promised that we'd freeze your broadband price for 12 months. We'll keep to our word, so what you pay for your FreeOnline Value service will stay the same. Champion.
Did you know you could save money by upgrading to our new Talk Anytime call plan? You'll still get inclusive calls to UK landlines and 0845 / 0870 numbers, but you'll be able to chat any time of the day without worrying about call charges. What's more you'll get 25% off our international call rates to the EU, the USA and Canada, as well as Australia and New Zealand. Our new Talk Anytime plan will be just £3.50 a month from January, but we're offering it to you FREE for 3 months.^
View our awards
We're making some changes to our Home Phone service in January too. Our charge for line rental will be £11.99 a month. We'll no longer offer 300 inclusive international minutes on our Talk Evenings & Weekends call tariff and off peak hours are changing to 7pm - 7am.
Call prices are changing too, so please take a look at our updated call tariff for this important information.
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks pierre_pierre for the help, but can't find the your questions section.  I wanted to check mine just out of interest.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To find questions
Login to Member Centre
Click Help & Support on the top menu.
Click View your questions in the Help Assistant section.
For closed questions you need to select an appropriate date range from the drop down menu and click Go. The account change entry is a service notice dated in the first week of December 2010.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI juliasdream,
I've just been checking your account and the email is registered there as being sent. I know it must be frustrating but we sent this email to all our home phone customers in accordance with the changes we were making.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The email was written by the Marketing department. As you can see from the copy posted above they have deliberately put loads of advertising guff at the top in the hope that most users will stop reading and delete the email before they get to the bits with the bad news. Plusnet can then say that you were notified and that it's your fault for not reading the whole email.
That's what you can expect from "Good honest broadband from Yorkshire".
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you spraxyt.  I have now managed to locate the messages and viewed them.  Many thanks.