cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhelpful customer service....Unusual for Plusnet!!

kamala

Unhelpful customer service....Unusual for Plusnet!!

I called up yesterday evening approx 5-6pm (01-03-12), to check if plusnet had received payment from me. I was anxious to find this out as I did not want the payment to be overdue, which has happened before.
The lady I spoke to asked for my user name & password which unfortunately I did not have, & had not used as yet. She insisted that this was the only way for her to ensure data protection & that if I did not have this she would have to terminate the call. I explained to her that I have called before & that my identity had been confirmed by verifying other personal details of mine. She insisted this was not the case, & that there was no way she could help me. She mentioned that she could go to "jail" if she confirmed who I was in any other way than me giving her my user name & password.
By this point I was very frustrated as I just wanted to find out about my payment. I asked to speak to a manager, and she went on to tell me that the manager "will tell me the same thing". I had to to ask her about three more times, before she finally put me on hold, and put me through to a gentleman named Drew (I think).
He was very helpful, and took some of my other details. He then arranged for me to be called back on my land-line by another colleague to verify who I was. That lady then dealt with my query & gave me my username & password again, so I could use it in future. Both Drew & this lady specified that I keep this safe as I will need it when I call again. This is fine, & I understand how imperative it is.
I am sure that I am not the first to forget / misplace their UN/ PW, but found the 1st lady I spoke to very unhelpful. She was not willing to help me at all, which is very unusual compared to the other great experiences I have had with the customer service team at Plusnet.
I am sorry I do not have this lady's name, but I feel it is important this is investigated. One bad experience can overshadow a good company that on the whole offers some of the best customer service I have received.
(I have sent this message in this way as the following link does not seem to be working - www.plus.net/survey voice)
Please look into this & address it for me.
Many Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Unhelpful customer service....Unusual for Plusnet!!

It may be unhelpful for you but I personally think the lady done her job and properly, When It comes to the data protection act people should know better to be honest, Nice outcome though, You may want to remove your user-name from the forum?
Regards
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
James
Grafter

Hi Kamala,
I'm glad you got this sorted out.
However the lady who you spoke to was correct - she cannot give you any information about your account with going through security checks, which involve confirming your username and password.
I understand that sometimes this can be a little cumbersome however in today's information security climate, we have to be vigilant about these sort of things.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

So the man possibly called Drew acted unlawfully?   Huh
mikko
Grafter

Hope Drew doesn't go to jail! Shocked
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: drj
So the man possibly called Drew acted unlawfully?   Huh
How do you figure that out? Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I explained to her that I have called before & that my identity had been confirmed by verifying other personal details of mine.
He was very helpful, and took some of my other details. He then arranged for me to be called back on my land-line by another colleague to verify who I was. That lady then dealt with my query & gave me my username & password again, so I could use it in future. Both Drew & this lady specified that I keep this safe as I will need it when I call again. This is fine, & I understand how imperative it is.

correct quote added
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@oldjim 'drew' had nothing to do with that though.
drj
Aspiring Pro

If "However the lady who you spoke to was correct - she cannot give you any information about your account with going through security checks, which involve confirming your username and password." is correct then it appears to be absolutely necessary that you confirm your user name and password. Either Drew or the "second lady" - more likely the latter rereading this "That lady then dealt with my query & gave me my username & password again, so I could use it in future." thus broke data laws? Personally I think questions are sometimes over-draconian but it would be useful to know if "Jameseh" is correct.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

But that 'Lady' In question is 'unknown'
Edit, And the second lady only done what was Instructed by 'drew' who had confirmed the op was who she said she was?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This is starting to sound like a 'Who Done It' mystery. Where was the butler. Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kamala

I understand this, but I think I was thrown because all the other times that I have called plusnet & been asked for my UN & PW I have never had it to hand, so have been asked to confirm other details instead. I think this shows how inconsistent things can be. That in itself should be looked into.
I don't know who would go to jail!!....A bit extreme tho....there are worst things going on in the world!!
kamala

Quote from: Steve
It may be unhelpful for you but I personally think the lady done her job and properly, When It comes to the data protection act people should know better to be honest, Nice outcome though, You may want to remove your user-name from the forum?
Regards

Thanks....!! I now know better!The customer service people should do dthe same thing all the time though....
kamala

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Kamala,
I'm glad you got this sorted out.
However the lady who you spoke to was correct - she cannot give you any information about your account with going through security checks, which involve confirming your username and password.
I understand that sometimes this can be a little cumbersome however in today's information security climate, we have to be vigilant about these sort of things.

I understand this, but I think I was thrown because all the other times that I have called plusnet & been asked for my UN & PW I have never had it to hand, so have been asked to confirm other details instead. This is the first time that someone insisted I give my UN & PW. I think this shows how inconsistent things can be. That in itself should be looked into.
glloyd
Rising Star

I'm puzzled how do you log on if you don't remember your user name and password?