Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic shaping for website developers?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Traffic shaping for website developers?

Hi
Sometimes my ftp connection and speed becomes very slow.  I have shed loads of work to do 24 hours a day on my sites so I was wondering whether my account can be tweaked to make my ftp connection and speed faster at all times?  Is this possible?
Regards
Bluesplayer
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Traffic shaping for website developers?

move to pro, runs at line speed for all apps
Mark
Grafter

Hi Bluesplayer. Are you using a consumer product or a business product?
If consumer, I'd suggest that a business product will deliver the speeds you require for the apps you're using.
This should give further info: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml#uploadBiz
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Well I am using Plusnet Premium.  According to that link I am more or less using the same service as pro and business with regard to ftp.  What about the effects of traffic shaping?  Is that the reason why it suddenly becomes much faster at certain times?  This morning for instance opening files using ftp and uploading was a real drag then all offa sudden it becomes  a lot easier.  Are the Pro or Business accounts subject to this?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If download speeds via FTP are the problem then moving to Pro or a business option would help.
If upload speed is the problem then this wouldn't make a difference (as upload is unrestricted on your current product, and would be on the others).
If your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled this would give you better upload, if not you could add Max Premium (this gives you an upload of 832k as opposed to your current 448k, and costs £8 a month).