cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to...say goodbye

Y2J
Grafter

Time to...say goodbye

Been with Pn since 07, had various problems over connection drops over the years but the problems i have had since the 17th Decmeber to this day are still here and bugging the life out of me.
Decmeber :
Connection went on and off every 2 hours, did the test socket and all the checks but i didnt get a proper answer on whats going on, i kind of just gave up in the end which is bad as im not getting (internet) this for nothing
Febuary to today:
Engineer came to the house said everything is fine and he said you have been getting very low speeds, at the time i was getting 2.5 max the weeks after he came to do the checksthe speed started to creeps up the the highest i ever has which was the 4.7- mark was well chuffed but it didnt last long then it went to the stage when every 2 days the router would resync lower and lower everytime.
Made a post before about me saying should i put the router in the test socket as im upstairs on an extention to do some checks, got back the following:
" can't see the point in running tests in the test socket when once I'm done you'll plug it back in the extension socket. Unless you stay in the test socket or get the internal wiring fixed this is likely to keep happening. I know what you said about the engineer checking the extension but it may have been fine when he tested it, which doesn't necessarily mean it can't become faulty."
There is nothing wrong internally as its the same problem when the engineer came out in the first place.
The only option from the post response is to move move my pc downstairs behind the bloody telly ,happy days then. Nah
Anyway just wanted to know how to move to another ISP heard that you have to do it by post or something. bit strange but wha hey.
Any info on how to cancel, scouwerd the forums looking for a answer but to no avail.
Ta
Lee
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Time to...say goodbye

The only option from the post response is to move move my pc downstairs behind the bloody telly ,happy days then. Nah

You could just move the router there and then use a long ethernet cable to your PC, or homeplugs/wifi if you don't want to use a long cable.
The other alternative is to get whatever issue is causing this resolved as it's likely to be your internal wiring from the sounds of it, and this is more than likely to cause the same issues which any BT line based ISP you use.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Y2J
Any info on how to cancel, scouwerd the forums looking for a answer but to no avail.

You have to phone (between 0900 and 1900) or write a letter,  and if you're taking the ADSL to another provider request a MAC at the same time.
see http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/grass_is_greener.shtml
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Y2J
Grafter

Quote from: Chris

You could just move the router there and then use a long ethernet cable to your PC, or homeplugs/wifi if you don't want to use a long cable.
The other alternative is to get whatever issue is causing this resolved as it's likely to be your internal wiring from the sounds of it, and this is more than likely to cause the same issues which any BT line based ISP you use.

I must be mad i never thought over these months about a long ethernet  cable from a router in the test scoket ! Cheesy
You know what i might try that out cheers chris.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Y2J get a good quality  cat5e cable.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Y2J
Grafter

Whats the diffrence ste im not clued up
cheers
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Have a read of this..http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-cat5-v-cat5e.htm
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Y2J
Grafter

ah right, cheers
Just wondering if i twould be able to fit under the carpet up the stairs etc now Cheesy
avatastic
Grafter

I run my cat5 up the stairs on top of the skirting board. It pins down nice and neatly.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
WWWombat
Grafter

Its normally a bit too big to fit under the carpet nicely.
The flexible cables, ready-made with RJ45 plus on either end, usually come in a variety of sizes, but the longest are usually 30 metres long (about £7 at Ebuyer) but there are some now at 50 metres at something of a price premium (around £30).
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Y2J
Grafter

Cheers people il have to try this out and il bump the thread to let you know
Thanks again
Lee
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm hopeful that it'll make your connection more consistent. As you said, let us know howw you get on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.