Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to replace Technicolor with a better brand of router

tooslow
Grafter

Re: Time to replace Technicolor with a better brand of router

Quote from: Townman
...and how much did that router cost you - and can you remind me how much you paid for the TG582n please?

You can pick up a decent T-link router for around £30 on Ebay.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1437256.htm
Link for Argos but go for much cheaper on Ebay. Good reviews.
TG582n cost a fiver as part of joining up deal on Plusnet, but is pants compared to a the one I have now.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You referred to an Asus router and compared it to the performance of the (£5) TG router.
I take it that it is not this Asus - this - at £40 as that is only b/g wifi
Other Asus models start at £70 upwards...
Is comparing a £70 product with one costing £5 reasonable or realistic?
You makes your choice, pays your money and lives with your decisions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Obviously, the wireless b/g statement is incorrect in the Argos specifications of the Asus DSL-N14U "with wifi speeds up to 300Mbit/s". It's wireless n 2x2 with a max rate of 300Mb.
The comparison of the retail price of any other router vs. the "free" plusnet supplied router is always going to make the plusnet router come out the winner on price, but it's not really a reasonable or realistic comparison. The retail price of a 582n is more than £5.
Perhaps they wouldn't have had to spend the extra money on another router had the 582n worked well for them.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Ejs,
It is not a matter of making the TG look like a "winner" but more clarifying that something one has paid a good wedge of money for is always going to be better than the freebie and comparative statements ought to take that in to context. In summary the TG does its job for a significantly large number of people, however for some peoples specific needs / some lines other kit might be more suitable, but that kit comes with a price tag.
I once had a bad line and was tempted to buy something expensive with nice to have bells and whistles.  I was persuaded to take up the free PlusNET router which previously I had declined on the basis that anything free would be totally useless.  As it turns out, it is better than any budget router I had bought previously.  That is not to dismiss that it could be better, but at what price and who takes the hit on cost?
Let's be honest here this is all about greed - people want top price tag performance for free, well wake up and smell the coffee in the real world, those expectations are not realistic.
Sometime or other I expect there will be a different router if only because TG cease production of the current model.  The best that can be expected is that it is different, for though it might be better in some areas, there will be limitations elsewhere, for anything provided for free will be a compromise between cost and functionality - it's called choice.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tooslow
Grafter

Well said. You don't need to spend much to buy yourself a decent router. I bought a Asus DSL N11 router off Gumtree for £6. It took a little while to set it up, but once it got going it's fantastic and so much quicker than the Technicolor router.  So shop around, and look at reviews. It doesn't matter if the router is a few years old - just buy one for your needs and budget.
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Plusnet special edition of the 582n without USB port that made a quiet high pitched noise was also good enough for most people on the basis most people can't hear the noise, or won't be close enough to the router, or perhaps have a computer with fans that would mask the noise. And removing the USB port (and dying gasp hardware) that most people probably didn't use reduced the cost.
The cost of whatever router Plusnet supply is paid by Plusnet, they're not really free. Perhaps Plusnet could spend more on the router if there weren't almost always some crazy cut price special offer for new customers.
And soon Plusnet will have to supply something containing a VDSL2 modem for FTTC customers once Openreach stop supplying the VDSL2 modems as part of the FTTC install.
leader
Grafter

Still think pn are missing a revenue avenue not offering a choice of cpe on sign up or via an option in member centre.
Edge router lite anyone?  Smiley )
aaisp & zenisp provide options in addition to the TG582n pro (dant-1)
Agree with Townman  Shocked on "expectations" - ......
Maybe PN's  Graham21  is best placed to provide insight with any upcoming products ?