cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket #107261913

hex
Grafter

Ticket #107261913

I initially logged this last Saturday via the troubleshooter as a line fault - at that time there was quite a lot of audible noise on the phone
line and was causing havoc with the broadband.  Much later in the day the line seemed to go quiet again but from time to time there is a little
bit of noise (not as loud or as sustained as previously though) and that still continues to be the pattern although it seems to have got a bit
worse again today.
The response to the ticket (Tues afternoon) was a bit disappointing - no line test, just a link to a youtube video with troubleshooting checks and
of course pushing home the potential £50 fee if you want to book an engineers appointment.  Whilst I understand the reasoning here why weren't
these checks included as part of the initial troubleshooting steps rather than having to wait 3 days for a response to the ticket.
I have the phone plugged into the test socket now and there is still some noise from time to time although it is not really loud - kinda like a
scratching noise or little taps - the broadband is disconnecting for brief periods frequently (wired, not wireless) and the SNR on the fibre modem
is all over the place.
Is it better to continue progressing this as a voice line fault (I am concerned that when/if OR visit they will not be able to pick up the noise
and I will get slapped with a charge), or would it be better to proceed as a broadband fault?
I have attached a couple of graphs to illustrate what I mean about the SNR - one is from last year, another from earlier today - guess which is
which! Wink
Cheers,
-mark
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Ticket #107261913

I'd worry about getting any line noise fixed first. If you've done all the checks and there is some noise still then lets get that sorted.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hex
Grafter

OK thanks - have updated the ticket with the requested information.
hex
Grafter

I put this ticket on hold to monitor things after the line noise seemed to resolve itself subsequent to some work on the cabinet and in the area by some BT guys.    The line noise seems to be gone but I am seeing quite a few connection drops seemingly due to occasional downward spikes in snr (sometimes when the phone rings or is in use, sometimes just random).
Please can you post the results of a line test to see if that shows up anything along with a radius graph so I can confirm the drops.
Cheers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Those symptoms still point to a voice line fault.  I recommend that you follow through on the voice fault before proceeding further.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It doesn't paint a pretty picture I'm afraid.

Our tests have found a external fault which I'm raising now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
hex
Grafter

Thanks - much appreciated. Smiley
hex
Grafter

Had an unexpected visit from an openreach guy this morning (was home luckily) and he did a very thorough job checking everything from the cabinet and pole right down to the phone sockets.  He replaced all the sockets and tidied up the wiring (apparently there was a bit of a dubious bypass of an original socket to the master that was put in when fttc was installed) - all said and done everything looks a lot healthier now and hopefully that will be an end to the problems. Wink
Would it be possible to give the plusnet line profile a poke - looks like a dlm reset was done but the plusnet profile has not caught up yet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Done, you might need to log in to the router and do a single disconnect/reconnect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hex
Grafter

Thanks. Smiley
hex
Grafter

Ticket # now 107895943.
Ok - seems I counted my chickens too soon on the fix.   Undecided
Just one of those things with what I assume is a HR fault of some description - its rather frustrating to have to run through the tests again and especially to have to accept the threat of a £50 charge for exactly the same symptoms as previously when the last engineer has already checked all the internal wiring and replaced sockets.   If the fault was caused by something he replaced then it is a bit harsh to threaten the customer with a charge for that...
Note: not that I am suggesting for one second the fault has anything to do with that or that the last engineer did anything but a top job - he was a good guy, very helpful and he thought he had nailed the problem.   The fault (or the amplification of it) may be linked to the rain that started just as he left and has continued pretty heavily ever since then!
But anyway... just had a vent a bit.  Now we wait for round #2!