cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird

zuttox

Thunderbird

Hi,
    I've signed up on the 14th since then I've been  frantically trying to download Web mail to my email client Thunderbird only to be told  today by help desk that its not supported although its listed in set up assistance.This I find unbelievable, can anyone tell me what is supported as I don't really want to use  Microsoft.
                                                    Zuttox
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Thunderbird

Hi Zuttox,
You can use Thunderbird Smiley
What are you having trouble with?  Do you want to let me know what settings that you are trying to use and I'll give you some pointers on what changes you need to make.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've actually got a support page on how to set this up over on our website here: http://portal.plus.net/support/email/setup/thunderbird.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zuttox

Hi,
    Glad to hear that Thunderbird's ok although you've knocked my confidence regarding quality of help desk, not too know such elementally info.  I've read the assistance help, I've watched the video so I'm pretty certain i have set up ok as I can send emails. The problem is I get a password request 'password for Alan on mail.plus.net' when trying to download to Thunderbird which isn't recognised by your server, should I have a password or is this a Thunderbird request.
                                                                  Zuttox
hadden
Grafter

That password (for downloading emails) should be the same as your Plusnet broadband  login password.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: zuttox
only to be told  today by help desk that its not supported

Gosh, Mand's educating tool must be getting a lot us use these days!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zuttox

That password doesn't work I've tried two passwords the original plus changed password from yesterday
                                                                                                                                                                Zuttox
zubel
Community Veteran

Are you sure the username is correct?
sounds like you may have put 'Alan' as the username, which I highly suspect would not have been available if you have signed up recently.  What is your Plusnet username - this is what you should enter for the default mailbox, along with the password that you chose at signup.
B.
hadden
Grafter

Have you created a mailbox called "Alan", so that it gives an email address something like alan@xxxx.plus.com (where "xxxx" is your plusnet account name?
In that case, the email account username should be xxxx+alan and the password would be the password you entered when you created that mailbox.
Santiago
Grafter

You could test the usernames and passwords by logging into the plusnet webmail.
zuttox

Thanks very much John and Barry now sorted
                                                                Zuttox
James
Grafter

Hi Zuttox - Glad to hear you managed to sort things out.