cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think it will be time to cancel plusnet soon!

ianc1990
Grafter

Think it will be time to cancel plusnet soon!

Last month, an initial 9 month reduced cost rate on ADSL with plusnet, had expired - I am on an 18 month contract.
When I re-contracted on 21/09/2013, I was informed that fibre was already available at my property.  I was at the time offered either fibre or ADSL but I had no requirement for fibre at the time so I took out ADSL.
When I asked what my options were at the end of the initial 9 month reduced costs period(I hate these kind of offers), I was informed that I could at that point upgrade, if I wish, to a fibre package.  It was my thinking at the time that I would take the reduced rate of £2.99 P/M and after the initial 9 month term, I would upgrade to fibre as it would be of similar cost to ADSL.  In-fact, your initial term on fibre is currently as low as £3.75 P/M and I am now paying £9.99P/M for ADSL.  In addition to this, you offer all new customers ADSL for £2.50 a month which is on a 12 month contract, and that's a flat cost throughout the term, so offering ADSL at this cost is obviously commercially viable.  It disappointing that for being a loyal customer, you get charged more!
Today when I called to confirm that it is the end of the 9 month term (I was confused at first as I was given incorrect numbers and dates), I was advised that I cannot upgrade to fibre after all as it is not available in my area, completely defeating the plans I had in mind when I took out the initial contract, and in a way, going against what plusnet advised at the time.
Since joining plusnet when I purchased my very own property (being the first internet connection I provisioned myself), I have praised plusnet in all possible ways, persuading 3 people to join them, and bragging about them on forums I am a member of due to their helpful forum staff, unlimited upload caps, no site blocking, etc.  To now get this, what I can only describe as a kick in the teeth is actually very disappointing.  I completely understand the initial period and that I should be paying more if i stick with ADSL, but the fact that I have been restricted from upgrading, therefore getting bad value for money is very annoying - the advisor shouldn't have told me I have this option as at the time as I would have gone with a product that had a flat rate throughout, and in the long term, it would have been cheaper.
Can someone from plusnet please tell me what cancellation costs I have to pay if I wish to leave?  I only have a few months line rental left paid up front and even if its a penny cheaper elsewhere with the cancellation fees (I can easily get ADSL for £2.50P/M elsewhere), IM OUT.
6 REPLIES 6
flexo1966
Grafter

Re: Think it will be time to cancel plusnet soon!

I rang up to cancel but was 1 day over the first 2 week period and guess what, I'm still here !!
"plusnet we'll do you proud" and once we have are claws in you aint goin nowhere.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ianc1990,
I'm very sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving.
As my colleague confirmed when you called up a few hours ago - FTTC is planned for your cabinet on 10/09/2014. I can't comment on why you were told back in 2013 that it was available - I can only assume that it was human error.
I've created Ticket: 90240760 which has the cancellation amount in it. I'm very sorry if this will cause you to leave, however, if you do then we wish you luck with your future ISP.
ianc1990
Grafter

Hi Linn,
Many thanks for your post as well as your ticket with the cancellation charge amount.  I am 100% sure that FTTC has been available in my cab in my area in the past.  My cab was replaced quite some time back, and even my neighbour already has it in.  I have enquired with plusnet as well as other broadband providers in the past and I can assure you that it has been available in the past - it seems that is has been recently withdrawn.
Based on the cancellation charge, it is cheaper for me to cancel my broadband then re-sign up with plusnet on your £2.50 P/M deal.  Can you tell me if this is possible and whether you can do it without any downtime?  It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that I would have to go through this process to get this price, but if its what I have to do, then I'll do it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ian,
All FTTC availability data is provide for ALL ISPs by BT Wholesale / BTOR.
It is quite possible that at one time, FTTC was available in your area.  When cabinets are deployed, they are not fully populated with FTTC termination cards / ports, with the consequence that when the initial capacity has been taken up, further provision requires the cabinets to be further populated / expanded with more line termination cards.  It is possible that you are "victim" to this BTOR way of doing things.  FTTC availability being less than a month off rather tends to suggest that this might be the case for your cabinet.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianc1990
Grafter

Hi Townman
Thank you for your input.  I understand that FTTC is made available through BTOR and its not something that plusnet can control, but I as a customer was told that FTTC will be available for me to upgrade to at the end of the initial 9 month period, and there was no indication that there may not be enough capacity for me able to upgrade at that point.  Fact is if I knew this at the time, I probably wouldn't have take the 'risk' as on an overall contract period, there were cheaper options available.
All of that aside, can someone from plusnet please let me know whether I can cancel my plusnet agreement paying the early termination charges, and sign up to a new plusnet contract without any downtime?  This is cheaper than sticking with my current contract...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you would need to phone the customer options team on
    0800 013 2632
    0330 123 9197
    Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
    Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm