cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Question

anthgood
Grafter

Contract Question

I am not sure which section to ask this in. But it also seems the plusnet staff only read this section so am asking here.
I signed up for Plusnet phone and fibre on the 4th July. The Fibre however was not installed until 5th August.
As I really want fast Fibre and on BT Wholesale it says I can get 61 Mb/s I took out the 76 Mb/s conttract.
Today I have got this email from you guys.
Account username: anthgood
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 6Mbps
Current line speed: 36.4Mbps  <<<<<<<<<<<<
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

I am getting less than the lowered tier speeds. I know this will be an issue with my line supporting it. My questions are.
1. Would I be able to switch to the lowered tier 38 Mb/s contract and would I be able to get the deals you are offering on this where for the first 6 months its reduced (like I am getting with this
2. If I am switched will I still get the TopCashback deal - so in effect should I wait till my £105 top cashback is paid and then see about switching down
3. I really want fast speeds so should I wait to see if my speeds improve. I have ripped out an extension wire and installed DECT phones, switched to a Huawei HG612 openreach modem and bought a better modem DSL cable to go from it to the wall socket all on Friday just gone for example. Should I wait 10 days from last friday before dropping down.
Is there a chance in a month or twos time my line speeds will increase. As to say again according to BT wholesale I could get 61 Mb/s from my line. Which for me was good but I was still wanting faster. The 38 Mb/s I am getting now is a bit of a bummer.
7 REPLIES 7
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Contract Question

Hi anthgood,
Welcome to the Community Forums.
I'm not sure what you mean by the following -
But it also seems the plusnet staff only read this section so am asking here.

We, the Customer Relations team, do our best to answer all queries that come in across the Forum, not just in the Feedback section.
I'm not entirely sure where you got 61Mbps from. I've had a look at your account and on the day that you signed up we sent you a welcome email which stated
- Your estimated broadband speed is 43 Mbps

The estimate is based on the length of the copper cabling between your PCP (Cabinet) and DP (Distribution Point).  As it's an estimate, it is best effort and it's worth bearing in mind that line quality may not be included in your estimate, for example, if your line has aluminum in it, this will not be factored into your speed estimate as it is done on line length. It’s important to understand that the estimate IS only an estimate and isn’t a guaranteed speed.
I've ran a fault checker on your line and it's picked up on a potential issue which may be impacting your service. I have therefore raised this to BT Openreach to have a look into and they'll get back to us as soon as possible. Our Faults team will monitor Ticket: 90282085 and they'll update this ticket with any further information.
I would suggest waiting to see if your speed increases following the resolution of the issue identified on your line. If it doesn't then we can have a look into downgrading your package if you still wish to do this.
AndyH
Grafter

@ anthgood - What does it say for your estimates if you put in your number here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
anthgood
Grafter

Quote from: Linn
I'm not entirely sure where you got 61Mbps from. I've had a look at your account and on the day that you signed up we sent you a welcome email which stated
- Your estimated broadband speed is 43 Mbps

I got it from the BT Wholesale link (which appears to be the same website as the DSL chekcer)
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
It stats minimum 43.2 Mb/s and maximum 60.1 MB/s.

When I phoned up to inquire before signing what I was told by both the sales team and also the regular customer service was. I will get the minimum speed of 43 Mb/s on the first day and then in the first 10 days we will see the maximum your line can handle and it will increase to the 60Mb/s.
On the first day I was getting the 43MB/s. The first night it jumped up to 54Mb/s and I was happy. The it went back down to 43mb/s and stuck their until Friday which it then went down to 36Mb/s and has stayed their since.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'll mean that your speed can vary between 43.2Mbps and 60.1Mbps but again, as I stated previously, these estimates are best effort and things like line quality are not necessarily taken into consideration.
The query I raised with Openreach regarding the issues on your line has been returned stating that there isn't a fault on your line and that the line is syncing correctly at 38Mbps which may be the best speed your line is capable of whilst remaining stable. It may be that when the speed jumped up to 54Mbps DLM kicked in and reduced the speed because the line was unstable.
If you'd like to discuss your option to downgrade please let me know and I'll give you a quick call.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: anthgood
... on BT Wholesale it says I can get 61 Mb/s I took out the 76 Mb/s conttract.
...Should I wait 10 days from last friday before dropping down.

BT Wholesale estimates usually report a "clean" and an "impacted" speed.  Which was this?  They are usually stated as ranges, I guess this was at the maximum end of the "clean" band.
With FTTC, the "stabilisation" period is 2 days.  10 days refers to ADSL.
As Linn advises, the line fault needs to be fixed, the DLM reset and the modem left untouched for 2 days to see what best speed might be attained.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnJ-B
Grafter

If you use the BT Broadband checker, it implies it is 10 days for BOTH ADSL & FTTC:-
"For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. "
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes that's correct. But for FTTC the 2 days it actually takes is consistent with the all embracing "the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage".
David