Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet peek time lottery entertainment - gateway hopping

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The Plusnet peek time lottery entertainment - gateway hopping

Just wasted 30 minutes trying to find a usable gateway to watch online streams with.  It's time to start paying back to the customers that pay for all the Voucher customers that get their connection for free or for peanuts.
My nightly lottery gateways tonight
pcl-bng03
pcl-bng04 the worst out of the list 1.5-3mbit on single thread test and 15mbit on multi threaded, normally 30mbit on both
pcl-ag02
pcl-ag06
pcl-ag07
ptw-bng01
ptw-bng02
ptn-ag01

Finally got a good one on ptn-bng01 at nearly full speed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
15 REPLIES 15
Starmans
Grafter

Re: The Plusnet peek time lottery entertainment - gateway hopping

I'm on pcl-bng02 and have no issues with my transfer speeds. Could it not be local exchange issue?
hbb98
Dabbler

(I'm not sure this thread belongs under "feedback".)
A week or so ago, my "broadband quality monitor", like many other people's had an
enormous lump of latency and packet loss, from about mid-afternoon to midnight. After
a day or two, this was "fixed", up to a point. 
In my case, the "enormous lump" was replaced by a "smidgeon" of packet loss and latency,
from about 8pm to 10pm, during which most speedtest sites gave very erratic results (about
a third of my usual figures (approx 60Mbs(D), 18Mb(U)).
In all this time I've been on pcl-bng03.  I've not tried "hopping", because (a) I don't use the
internet much at peak times, and (b) I imagine whatever is going on is due to Plusnet's
"new network" spooling up, combined with half the country being under water.  Quite likely
no other gateway would be significantly better.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The issue with the 'point the finger at the gateway' strategy is that there is an array of other influencing factors encountered before one hits the gateway.
As I understand matters, there's a multiplicity of routes one's connection to the SAME gateway might use within BTw's network there by any difference perceived between gateway A and gateway B might simply be a factor of the BTw network routing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
Just wasted 30 minutes trying to find a usable gateway to watch online streams with. 

If the gateways were at fault, you would see countless threads on here of people complaining.
I suspect it's more of a regional issue affecting you.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Whilst it may not be individual gateways, it doesn't detract from the fact that if you disconnect and reconnect enough times, you often get a good speed again. That may be different endpoints or whatever it is, but clearly something is not right as you shouldn't have to do this to get a good speed again.
I also doubt it is regional as people from many different regions have reported that gateway hopping eventually cures the speed problem.
AndyH
Grafter

I haven't read many threads where people are unable to stream and a gateway hop fixes it.
There have been quite a few issues in Scotland recently, a lot due to the inclement weather. Not saying this is the cause here, but it's something that might have be a factor.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I regularly play online games , and find if i get on any BNG gaming is bad  Sad and the only way to get a decent connection is to gateway Hop .
i have mentioned this on several posts , and it is just like a lottery where you land weather you have a good experience or not , at moment ptw-ag03. is very good .
But will only stay so until more people get on this gateway
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Gateway hopping on Plusnet to fix speed problems has been around long before any recent bad weather.
Aly
Rising Star

Quote from: rongtw
I regularly play online games , and find if i get on any BNG gaming is bad  Sad and the only way to get a decent connection is to gateway Hop .
i have mentioned this on several posts , and it is just like a lottery where you land weather you have a good experience or not , at moment ptw-ag03. is very good .
But will only stay so until more people get on this gateway

I have noticed this a lot too lately that BNG is bad for gaming.
The ptw ones are great but I can never get on them anymore
I always get on PCL-AG
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I have been here several years , and always had to gateway hop to find a good gateway for Gaming,  PN have tried several times to help  Cool  which has helped for s short while But yoou still end up having to HOP several times
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

On a positive note, the *NEW* Plusnet network should improve the gaming experience and minimise the need to gateway hop.
It may help to raise a question in the Gaming forum to see how any 'Gamers' have fared after the Network move.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

MauriceC  , I agree but PN have not given any timescale for cutomers to be switched  Roll_eyes
In a previous post it was suggested at present rate of switch over,s as long a 7 years  Shocked
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think Bob clearly said it would certainly NOT take that length of time.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Anotherone ,, Yes i did see the post  Wink
But PN refuse to give a timescale for this new network , Going by other promises of fixes from PN have well exceded any resonable time  Roll_eyes