cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet curse?....On & On 1 Year On!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: The Plusnet curse?....On & On 1 Year On!

halsall, FYI I've replied here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95945.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Thought the title of my thread might have given away it had been over a year  Wink Although we're almost at the point of getting sorted..........almost..........very nearly almost..............so what we're going to do about this B&Q voucher then? Wink (gotta keep trying haven't I?)
PS Adam,  you never said why? Still confuzzled about that one, and I guess you can work out what I meant via the Mixer Man diaries reference? Smiley
Have fun! Let me know!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey Tim,
I'll let you know about the book via other means. Smiley
Re the specifics it was some alterations to traffic management that were made specifically relating to the prioritisation of your streaming traffic. I just wanted to see if changing that again would have a notable effect, on that front did it? what's your experience of youtube and iplayer like at the moment.
Although we're almost at the point of getting sorted

Almost? thought we did have this sorted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
john50
Grafter

You mean this thread is liable to disappear into the cyberworld  Sad  well at least page 1345 of the Feedback forum.
Pleased for you TicnTac that all appears to be nearly sorted.........how many times has that been said?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Pleased for you TicnTac that all appears to be nearly sorted

As far as I can see this is actually sorted, not nearly or almost or quite, but sorted Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
avatastic
Grafter

If its over, what was the problem and its solution?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Avatastic,
A number of different things really. Mainly there were some line issues which we resolved last year by getting Tim's line rejumpered (via a lift and shift) on to some specific pairs at the local exchange).
Things have also improved since the cab was recently upgraded too however a lot of the issues reported were relating to downloads and streaming which when looking at how the traffic management works for the account type are at the moment working within the expected means.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Actually........................before I forget there is a call under 60 mins (53mins) and it was charged - shouldn't have been. Ticket didn't open, and couldn't get through to general CS.
If we're sorted then......................I best check a few things - ie. stream er ing. I'll go pick on an Opinicus video Wink

there's a speed test (BT won't connect for some odd reason) it is 12:30am though!  Roll_eyes
Right time for a Tube...........
>
This is the vid.
.....and it kept 32 seconds ahead of the buffer at all times - quite consistent really  Smiley
Time for some stats:
Uptime: 2 days, 5:31:01

DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 3,768

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 77.42 / 791.50

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 33.5 / 57.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65,539 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,083 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 3,515 / 281,994

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 189 / 1,825

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 447 / 14,251

May I presume weather related? You see not done much apart from general FB & work, so nothing major going up or down.
Connection Information
Uptime: 0 days, 9:39:55
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 934.40 / 13.85
Connection Settings
PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 0.38
Type: PPPoA 

May I presume / assume - standard re-profile - reset - connect - or is something more sinister going off?
You see really the wrong time to be testing all this, as we know that this time of night / morning, things are always quicker and quieter.  Undecided
BTW
..........some line issues
some??  Grin a little understated don't you think?  Wink
.....on to some specific pairs at the local exchange.......

You see, me and Adam are full of great, if not rather whackey ideas (really would like to know what BT thought when that was put forward  Grin )
Things have also improved since the cab was recently upgraded

A new fibre cab has been erected, the standard cab got repaired and re-wired, didn't see much of an upgrade going off! Just a shame we can't connect to the nice posh fibre one  Cry (BT stated probably 2012 - they've pulled this area from the system again).
So things will be totally sorted when Adam has a) been to visit, b) worked out if the above is an issue / weather wise or line wise / c) I get some new toys courtesy of PN d) we get the 'goodwill' sorted and the bill checked  Grin
We are however leagues ahead of where we were just before Christmas, personally I think it's a shame that the powers that be, won't allow a router of choice to be fitted to prove that a proper router would make a massive difference, it could also prove me totally wrong, but after the year and two months on this I'm pretty confident, and with other local results, BT engineers, and advice, it would be the cherry on top, or the icing on the cake to throw everyone into wanting something to munch Wink
Adam had however done a sterling job, as he always does, and who ever said "long may this thread continue" - don't think we really want that do we - when it all finally finally done and dusted, I may post a conclusion, and sum it all up for future reference. We do also have to consider, this is a basic, budget, package, without frills, on BT equipment, it is luck of the draw, we know we're not in the same position as neighbours who are connected to LLU's who get massive speed differences compared to us, hence, value, budget, cheap, you get what you pay for, simples Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If we're sorted then......................I best check a few things - ie. stream er ing.

Yes, I'd say those speed tests are looking very good.
Right time for a Tube...........
This is the vid.
.....and it kept 32 seconds ahead of the buffer at all times - quite consistent really

Again, that's really good, in fact that's nearly faster than my connection at home.
May I presume weather related?

Can you clarify what you think is weather related I can't see any issues from those stats either.
May I presume / assume - standard re-profile - reset - connect - or is something more sinister going off?

No, nothing going on there sinister or otherwise.
new fibre cab has been erected, the standard cab got repaired and re-wired, didn't see much of an upgrade going off! Just a shame we can't connect to the nice posh fibre one

30th of June, pop that date on your calendar Smiley
worked out if the above is an issue

I really can't see any problems from any of the stats you've posted, how the line or the service is performing at the moment, which is a good thing, no?
We are however leagues ahead of where we were just before Christmas, personally I think it's a shame that the powers that be, won't allow a router of choice to be fitted to prove that a proper router would make a massive difference, it could also prove me totally wrong, but after the year and two months on this I'm pretty confident, and

New routers aside as that really won't happen I'm afraid, we've tried 4 different routers have we not so surely that rules out hardware as an issue.
Adam had however done a sterling job, as he always does, and who ever said "long may this thread continue" - don't think we really want that do we - when it all finally finally done and dusted, I may post a conclusion

One thing I know I need to sort out is the good will gesture, do you want that applying now or after switching to fibre? (assuming that you still want to do that)
Thanks a lot Tim, I agree. However I'm of the school of thought that this has drawn to a conclusion, as blunt as that may seem and as strange as it may seem after over a year I'm confident in saying that we've done what we can here.
I can understand that conclusions may be difficult to draw here as there has been a few different issues, things to figure out and expectations to become aware of. In summary the bulk of what needed to be done was the work on the various line and exchange issues. Beyond that a better understanding of the features of the value account type and traffic management has helped us (both you and me) as far as I see to get a better handle on what's causing the performance of streaming and download speeds at certain times.
It's going to seem odd not having this thread around but when that comes to happen don't forget that you're a welcome part of the Plusnet community and a good contributor to this site. As some will have noticed there has been a lot of friendly banter between me and Tim and long may that continue hopefully in the chit chat forum and by other completely non-work related means Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Yes, I'd say those speed tests are looking very good.

....was referring to these
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65,539 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,083 / 0

Not the happiest of figures, and they've been low (well last time I stat checked)
Again, that's really good, in fact that's nearly faster than my connection at home.

Ha Ha!  Tongue  Wink Don't believe that  Shocked
Can you clarify what you think is weather related I can't see any issues from those stats either.

Loss of Signal / Error Seconds.
No, nothing going on there sinister or otherwise.

So why only 2 days / Internet Time 9 hours? Did I miss something?  Undecided
30th of June, pop that date on your calendar

Yes, for anywhere but not for our post code and our location, reasons unknown as of yet, everywhere else within reach of the Cab has the 23rd June on it (BT will clarify this).  Smiley
I really can't see any problems from any of the stats you've posted, how the line or the service is performing at the moment, which is a good thing, no?

I know CRC is low, and HRC, but thought the Loss of signal / Error seconds were the ones to sound the nee naws?  Undecided
New routers aside as that really won't happen I'm afraid, we've tried 4 different routers have we not so surely that rules out hardware as an issue.

Our version 7, The Test Version 7, the duff version 8 that I repaired and sent back, the issuematic DuddLink, the BT Home Hub (under direction of BT themselves), and Adam's Version 8 - that makes 5, just we haven't tried a real one yet  Wink However I know PN won't budge on the router issue, but it is a real shame, and I think PN are real spoil sports and have no fun, or enthusiasm for anything, there must be some very dull and boring people there who make these silly rules. Adam clones is what we need, oh and maybe the goblin who manages little lines all day long - wonder how long or if he studied HR?  Roll_eyes  Grin
One thing I know I need to sort out is the good will gesture, do you want that applying now or after switching to fibre? (assuming that you still want to do that)

Fibre won't be happening - so I've pretty much given up on that and despite us being very jealous of our BT and LLU neigbours, life is what it is!
Don't apply anything yet, might gain some interest Wink  Grin
Thanks a lot Tim, I agree. However I'm of the school of thought that this has drawn to a conclusion, as blunt as that may seem and as strange as it may seem after over a year I'm confident in saying that we've done what we can here.

You see that stone over there? The one that's dripping blood?  Cheesy Again I refer to the Mixerman Diaries.  Wink
It's going to seem odd not having this thread around but when that comes to happen don't forget that you're a welcome part of the Plusnet community and a good contributor to this site. As some will have noticed there has been a lot of friendly banter between me and Tim and long may that continue hopefully in the chit chat forum and by other completely non-work related means

I'll drink to that, might keel over and die mind, but virtually I think I'll be ok Smiley
.............also, no fat lady has sung yet, and you know it ain't over till the fat lady sings! Wink
Did I forget to mention phone charged phone call (less than one hour and charged for), should be free a) was the evening b) it was under an hour.
Looking forward to see how Rob Zombie is going to upstage his Pal Alice Cooper  Smiley
Rock Hard, Rock Heavy, Rock On!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not the happiest of figures, and they've been low (well last time I stat checked)

Figures aside I believe that the best way to measure if the connection is working to expectation is firstly to see if the speeds meeting your estimate, and yours exceed that now which is almost an unprecedented notion. Next is to look at how stable the connection is performing, looking at that in detail, yes one or two disconnections have occurred recently but nothing to cause alarm in fact you've recently had a very long 30 day connection. I can provide logs or a graph to show this if you're curious.
So why only 2 days / Internet Time 9 hours? Did I miss something?

Not really, as I mentioned at the start of this reply disconnections can and will happen, we'd not regard that level of disconnections as an issue to be honest for the simple reason that it shouldn't impact on the quality of service to a detrimental degree.
Yes, for anywhere but not for our post code and our location, reasons unknown as of yet, everywhere else within reach of the Cab has the 23rd June on it (BT will clarify this)

Chose to disregard me if you want but that is what BT's systems show us when checking against your postcode bearing in mind no other dates have been displayed before now and that you have visibly seen engineers working on the cab.
Fibre won't be happening - so I've pretty much given up on that and despite us being very jealous of our BT and LLU neigbours, life is what it is!

I tell you what, I won't presume that won't happen if you don't Tim (pacts?) Smiley

You see that stone over there? The one that's dripping blood?  Cheesy Again I refer to the Mixerman Diaries. 

I'll need to keep any chat related stuff to the chat forum, doesn't mean to say I don't want to chat and discuss things like that, I just can't do it here, lets keep this forum, for it's intended purpose Smiley
If you've got no further pressing concerns that we're able to help with the time may have to come to move on from this thread. Smiley

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TicnTac
Grafter

Chose to disregard me if you want but that is what BT's systems show us when checking against your postcode bearing in mind no other dates have been displayed before now and that you have visibly seen engineers working on the cab.

Publicised leaflet / and press (local rag) regarding a couple of areas and post-codes with delay to Infinity (now whether this is BT provision and not 3rd party provision I don't know? Only going on what BT has published and local news  Undecided Also the U.TV system is also neglecting to service this area, with no known date.
I tell you what, I won't presume that won't happen if you don't Tim (pacts?)

lol  Roll_eyes
I'll need to keep any chat related stuff to the chat forum, doesn't mean to say I don't want to chat and discuss things like that, I just can't do it here, lets keep this forum, for it's intended purpose
If you've got no further pressing concerns that we're able to help with the time may have to come to move on from this thread.

So which bloke in which suit gave the nod then?  Roll_eyes (Also re: Mixer Man, since you have the book, I was referring to the 'ok' isn't 'ok', 'ok' means its not 'great' - to give you an idea of what I was on about which at this point in time without scrolling I haven't got a clue!  Roll_eyes
Did I forget to mention phone charged phone call (less than one hour and charged for), should be free a) was the evening b) it was under an hour.

Take it no take on the above then?  Undecided
Confirm that (above), we'll agree on a new router  Wink goodwill gesture, and I'll then conclude!  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

So which bloke in which suit gave the nod then?

lol no one, you'll just have to blame me! Smiley

With some help from Chris we've found the call in question here are the details:
call length: 0:55mins
date: 27/4/2011
time:  23:15:48
cost:  £0.74
I'll go and refund that now for you.
With regards to your good will gesture I'll need to discuss the details on a ticket so I've sent you 43004602
As per mixerman etc....http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96101.0.html

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team