cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks!

neur0maniak
Dabbler

Thanks!

I decided to upgrade to FTTP a couple weeks ago, and spent them reading these forums about how routers were not delivered and engineers not turning up and phone lines being disconnected.

After seeing so many of these posts I wanted to give feedback of my upgrade experience.
I scheduled an engineer visit today in a PM slot, and the engineer arrived 45 minutes early.
Within half an hour everything was fitted, and got a successful connection.

Apparently Openreach are no longer immediately removing copper lines on a fibre install, as they left mine intact in case I needed it. I was still connected to plusnet on my old router while the new one installed for testing had connected.
Both of them got given my original static IP, so I don't know how that would work.

Anyway, I removed the old hardware, configured my homebrew router for PPPoE (thanks to those who answered me in the other forum post), and it all connected with no hassle.

I did a speed test and can already see the line is configured properly, and this is within 60 minutes of the engineer knocking on the door.

So I wanted to thank plusnet/openreach for a pleasant and easy upgrade.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Thanks!

Both of them got given my original static IP, so I don't know how that would work. Very badly😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@neur0maniak 

I assume you're supplied via an underground duct.

OR replace o/h copper wire to reduce the weight / strain on the pole and the bracket attaching the cable to your house.

Brian

neur0maniak
Dabbler

@bmc 
It actually is overhead, and there are two cables to the house currently.
A span of maybe 5 metres above a pretty busy road.

The phone line has already been 'disconnected', as in the number no longer works, but there is a dial tone.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@neur0maniak 

OK, that's a surprise. Perhaps it's a new policy.

Thanks for the info.

Brian