cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching seamless and easy - NOT!!

deernessjim

Switching seamless and easy - NOT!!

Talk about hitting your head off a brick wall!!  Wishing to switch from Tiscali/Talk Talk to Plusnet, I applied for a MAC code on 4 May and, in fairness to Talk Talk, I received the code the next day and passed it straight to Plusnet.  The following day, PN contacted me to state that they were unable to action my order as a cease had been placed on my line with effect from 13 May, hence they would not be able to commence my order until 14 May, resulting in me being offline until about 22 May.  In the past week, I have phoned and messaged both PN and TT numerous times, and each are blaming the other for initiating the cease.  TT state that PN have placed the cease, and PN state that only TT could have done it!!  In my initial phone conversations, both ISP's referred me to BT Wholesale, but they, of course, do not deal with mere members of the public.  What a shambles!!
I have to say that, out of the two ISP's involved, PN have definitely been the most helpful and polite, but despite this, due to someone's incompetence, I am going to be without a service for approximately 8 days from 14 May.  I am fuming.  Angry
11 REPLIES 11
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Switching seamless and easy - NOT!!

I'm fairly sure that only the company that "currently" hold the line can order a cease against it.
Using a MAC code would initiate a transfer, rather than a cease, so in this case I would put money on it being TalkTalk who did issue the cease.
Sorry to hear you're having migration troubles though - I hope Plusnet will be able to show you their good CS in this instance.
Cheers
B.
MikeyM
Grafter

I am pretty sure only your current provider can do a cease order, so I would say TT are to blame.
deernessjim

Thanks, Barry and Mikey.  I just do not understand who benefits from placing a cease.  As I said, PN have been very courteous, but reading between the lines, I don't hold out much hope of them being able to get over this problem in much less than 8 days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Given TT's track record when people ask for MACs I have very little doubt where the blame lies.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

deernessjim,
This problem could be resolved by contacting Talk Talk and requesting that they cancel the cease order that has already been raised. Such orders can generally be cancelled right up until 24 hours before the due date.
If they can fulfil this request today there would then be no reason for us not being able to use the MAC key to migrate your service to us within 5 working days.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
deernessjim

Thanks very much for your advice, Adam.  I had already been down that route, but I thought I would give it one more try.  Although Talk Talk are now sort of half admitting that the cease was a mistake on their part, they are refusing to lift it, merely suggesting that Plusnet commence their procedures after the cease has taken effect.  It matters nought to them that I will be without broadband for 8 days or so.  I will, on principle, inform OFCOM, but I think the moral of the story for everyone is avoid Talk Talk like the plague.  Thanks again for your time.
Mand
Grafter

Seems a little silly on TalkTalk's part as they'll be hit with a cease charge on your line, whereas migrating out is free.  Undecided
deernessjim

Believe me, Mand, after the numerous telephone calls and emails to Talk Talk since deciding to switch to Plusnet, absolutely NOTHING they do or say surprises me.  They are utter morons.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is it also going to cost him extra for the line to be reactivated?
Mand
Grafter

@deernessjim, forgive me for stating the obvious since you've mentioned numerous phone calls, but I assume you've escalated this as high as you can with their call centre?
Rumour has it Mr Dunstone's email address is in the wild on the web, but I didn't tell you that. Wink
@jelv, set up fee is the same whether you're migrating or being activated.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=1589638